Aging gracefully behind the paddle, your thoughts?

All fabulous boats. Is there something you don’t care for about your Hornbeck?
The statement about light boats getting used more is true for me as well. As much as I enjoy my Bell Rob Roy in black gold, most mornings it’s my 27 lb Northstar Magic that I end up taking out.

1 Like

Joe for several years in a row has been telling me, always at the finish of the Adirondack 90 miler, when he has a display set up, that he can have a new Shadow to me in about a year. Too late to train with it for the next year’s 90.

But just this past May Bill Swift let me demo his new Cruisers. It was only a month later that he delivered one to me, newly built and customized to my request including a higher than standard adjustable sliding seat that I prefer for single blade paddling.

1 Like

I find nothing really “wrong” with my Hornbeck New tricks 13. In fact, it’s price makes it a bargain compared with PB and Swift boats. I even like it’s lower freeboard at the bow making it appear, to my eyes, a bit more graceful… My only problem with the boat is it’s 26 inch beam at the rails. Even though I’ve added two inches to the seat, it’s still a bit wide for the shorter paddles I prefer, the longest of these being a 220 cm. Both PB and Swift build their boats with widths narrow enough at the rails to easily accommodate a 220 cm paddle. I’ve added a couple of inches to the seat of the Hornbeck to facilitate a shorter paddle as well as adding a bit of “playfulness” to the boat with the higher CG.

While it’s only a guess as to how much longer this octogenarian can actively “ mess about” with the wee cockleshells of which I’ve become so fond, I might be able to extend that time by acquiring a boat that combines the virtues of light weight, comfort and the excellent paddling characteristics that I’ve come to expect. All it takes is a pocketful of money. Easy peasey :blush:.

2 Likes

I have a first generation PB Rapidfire canoe and recently acquired a new Swift Cruiser canoe. I have custom higher than the available highest stock seats factory installed in both. I prefer high seating because I paddle both canoes with single blade canoe paddles, either bent carbon or straight shaft wood. Oh and I am 72 and still activly racing for as many more years as I can.

I will give Bill Swift a call and ask him about the high seat option. A higher seat is more comfortable and makes for more efficient paddling. I dislike sitting on the bottom of a pack canoe. Maybe I’d enjoy single blading a solo canoe. Are there any solo canoes in the sub-35 weight range?

1 Like

My Northstar Magic in Starlight with standard trim (ash and aluminum) is 27 lbs. It’s factory seat has a 6-inch drop from the gunwales. I dropped it and another 1 1/2 inch leaving 4 + inches clearance under the seat. The additional drop gives a bit more stability and the extra height (vs sitting on the bottom) sure makes it easier to get out with old knees. I also think my stroke (I use double blade mostly) is better on the canoe seat than the pack seat, but there are other variables at play too.

The Placidboat Rapidfire and Shadow both are listed for 22-25 pounds. I do have a Shadow on order, but PB has a one year build wait time. The Swift Cruiser 14.8 in carbon is 24 pounds. Bill will build and deliver a new boat in about a month from your order. I would have ordered a SR Blackwater instead if one was available and did not take a rumored year to get also.

Using a single blade canoe paddle to paddle a canoe gives me a much more pleasurable and controllable experience than when using a kayak paddle. Although due to the extremely low seat, my classic Hornbeck does require use of a double blade. My Hornbeck is mainly used only for bushwhack travel to remote ponds far off trail.

We paid 1900 new. In Germany

Really had few options with our dog if we want to get out there.

2 Likes

If price isn’t a big consideration you might take a look at Savage River.

2 Likes

They must have a lot of orders because they never answer the phone

I’ve been trying to get him for two years :joy:

"They"who?

Reminds me of the Wenonah Advantage I owned but it was heavier made of Tuffweave. I liked it, but I like paddling with a single blade in a canoe better. Interesting two position seat in the Blackwater.

glad I retired now 70.5 :laughing::joy:

Start this project in the morning to layout all the masonry. Like a cigarette :smoking: butt smoked right to the end. If I drop I won’t have far to go :joy: My partner she’s pretty pissed .

they say all the good bricklayers are in the cemetery :headstone: I’m close :laughing:

What’s that saying ? “I love my job”.

Young Foreman late 30’s this will push him upward. Glad to share my knowledge because they can’t transfer experience to another :brain:

3 Likes

1 Like

1 Like

I just spotted a shiny new looking green Cruiser 12.8 this Sunday at our big local pond (Lake Arthur at Moraine State Park north of Pittsburgh.). Handsome head-turning little canoe!

2 Likes

i just recently received a new Cruiser 15.8 in all carbon. It compares very favorably in performance and speed with my PB Rapdfire. Tracks nice and straight with a single blade paddle, turns easily and sharply on demand also.

1 Like

I almost snap my neck whenever I see a Swift or PB go by on a car rack. Always admire them at launches; beautiful boats. Feel the same about Nstars, but see fewer of them around here. Comment by a Nstar and PB owner.

1 Like

They are all great-looking boats. I had planned on getting a PB when I lived 20 mins from their shop but then the place burned to the ground. I ended up with a Swift that Bill S delivered to me in an October ADK snow squall. I’ve added two Northstars since moving to the upper Midwest and I’ve no regrets whatsoever … but those Rapidfires sure are purdy…

1 Like

Several of the folks in the local canoe and kayak club that I paddled with in Yorkshire in 2017 had solo Swifts. That’s Ira the Border Collie with his humans in their Swifts on the Rivers Rye and Derwent. I spotted Swift models often on waterways in that part of the UK – solo canoes and short whitewater kayaks seemed to be the preferred craft for their meandering inland rivers and canals.

5 Likes