Albany to NYC in an inflatable kayak

There are serious tidal currents
that produce boils and whirlpools on the surface that can 1) not support a paddle and 2) easily capsize your boat.

They do not appear as rough places… T

Do you know the speed of tidal current? Eldredges Pilot book will show you as well as the timing

this is historical data

https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/currents15/tab2ac4.html#33

a mile per hour against you can hurt in an inflatable which tends to be slower than a hard shell.

People have paddled that route in kayaks …one a Folboat. Took three days stealth camping.

NYC does have storage for kayaks(pier 96)… no need for it in your apartment

I’d suggest taking some classes /outings with Manhattan Kayak Co

Watch those towed barges that can decapitate you with tow lines and their wash.

Do you kayak?
Equipment and environmental conditions aside, do you kayak?

If you don’t kayak or have only rented once or twice then there are places in NYC that offer instructed, guided kayak trips. Take one. A lot of questions that weren’t on your radar will likely be answered, and that’s just the Lower Harbor.

If you plan on pursuing this then the pool toys should stay in the pool.

Try these

http://aire.com/aire-kayak/sea-tiger.asp

http://www.pakboats.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=99&Itemid=148

See you on the water,

Marshall

The River Connection, Inc.

Hyde Park, NY

www.the-river-connection.com

fb.me/theriverconnection

I smell a new Outside Mag story!

Thanks for the advice and warnings
I have only been kayaking a couple times, but that was just paddling around Pier 96, not going far at all. You folks have convinced me not to try to make the trip in a cheap inflatable kayak, and without more experience.

However, I have one other (probably very naive) question:

Why are kayaks considered the only option for river travel? Why not inflatable rafts (which would seem a lot harder to capsize)? If kayaks are so much safer, why are lifeboats on ocean vessels rafts and not kayaks?

Inflatable vs kayak

– Last Updated: May-27-16 2:46 PM EST –

Inflatable rafts are slow, so difficult to make headway against current. They are light and ride high, so difficult to make headway against wind.

They are not nimble, which makes it hard to get away from large shipping, idiots in fast speed boats and other dangers (the Hudson has all).

Life rafts are designed to float in place until rescue comes, kayaks are vessels designed for travel. A proper kayak is a sea worthy vehicle designed for a specific spectrum of water types and mission profiles. Finding a good one for your purpose is the first goal, the next goal is learning to use it with enough expertise so it performs as designed.

I started paddling in NYC and would never consider a Manhattan circumnavigation without an experienced paddling group and serious preparation. I ditto the recommendation of NY Kayak Co, add Manhattan Kayak Co and suggest taking the train up the Hudson for some lessons or trips with The River Connection or Atlantic Kayak Tours.

WHAT are you thinking ??
If you insist on attempting that excursion using a Sea Eagle, better start learning yoga so when the time comes, you’re flexible enough to BEND OVER AND KISS YOUR ARSE GOODBYE !!

Warning noted
OK, I’ve been talked out of it. Maybe I’ll just do it on an inner tube :stuck_out_tongue:

Not the only option
Kayaks are not the only option, but most people who embark on long trips like this (not to mention all the weekend warriors here who love human-powered boats even when mostly doing day trips) choose boats that provide real performance and decent efficiency. As many have been been saying, inflatables lack that kind of performance, though some of the really good ones are reported to be reasonably good.

It’s just a lot more fun to propel a boat that’s responsive than one that’s basically a slug.

With that out of the way, other good choices would be canoes (just like kayaks, there’s a lot of variety in canoe styles) and rowboats (not all rowboats look like the one grandpa used to use for fishing back in the 60s). None of these boats are cheap, though to some of us, they seem reasonably cheap (buying them and making good use of them for a couple of decades is infinitely cheaper than playing golf).

Raft would be just fine on
The Yukon.

Maybe an inflatable too as it moves at 8 mph

But tree snags are your enemy

I’ve seen rafts made of logs up there

Huh?
Foolish statement about SE.You have never paddled the FastTrack or the RazorLite, otherwise you would know they are very capable performers.