All that flatwater rolling practice

There’s always more to learn
One of the things I love about this sport is that there is so much to it, and that doesn’t even include the seamanship aspects.

I’m still working on getting the butterfly roll to be reliable. I got it on my second attempt, but making it consistently successful is more elusive. Once I get that, I’ll head on to norsaq roll and hand roll.

Sorry you are in a good kayaking locale but without a boat. Maybe next time? And you still have Downeast to look forward to.

It’s not combat. It’s just paddling.
“combat roll”. “bombproof roll”. Who came up with these silly terms? Some overgrown kid who still plays with his GI Joe dolls?

Any mariner worth his/her salt knows that one doesn’t presume to engage in “combat” with the sea. We do our best to work with the sea, and when things go sideways (or inverted), we rely on the skills we’ve learned and practiced, and hope all goes well.

“bombproof roll” is another of my pet peeves, and this one can inspire dangerous complacency. If anyone thinks they have a “bombproof” roll, this only tells me that they don’t have foolproof judgment. Nothing like a bit of overconfidence to harsh one’s mellow at just the wrong moment. A “reliable” roll is the best we can expect; and something we should continue to practice. We still have to know–and practice–what to do if/when a roll fails, as well.

In any event, I wonder if we can’t come up with any non-military terms for our non-military activities? Or perhaps we don’t even need any such terms; just paddle, roll, etc.,…whatever it is we do.

Melissa

I Dunno…
Parts of the ocean are not ‘friendly’. Steep beaches. Shallow inlets. I’ve gone into some situations where I know I’m “In Harm’s Way”. Helmets for head protection. Pounded in the face by a breaking wave then tossed upside down.

Yeaaaaaahhh… those parts of the ocean are like combat. And when you roll right up…

Victory!