Anas Acuta, Romany, Avocet????

Third that.
I would also actually try cutting out the seat in the Avocet and replacing it with a lower foam seat, will lower the center of gravity some.

Anas??
I bet the founder of that company got teased in grade school.

re: Dabbing Ducks
Actually Anas is the genus name (i.e. Latin) for Dabbling Ducks, like the Pintail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anas

Pintail…
Now that’s an idea…although if I am bordering on too heavy for the Anas then I would suspect it would be the same for the Pintail.

Right now I am still leaning toward the Romany if I can find one used.

Yes, the Romany surf would be a great boat, but I really want to save about a thousand or so bucks and get a used boat. Won’t find a used Romany surf for a while.

Reference Marsha…I saw Ronnie at the symposium last week. He said she did not like the ocean cockpit on her new Anas Acuta, so she probably does want her Avocet back!

matt

My 2 cents
Hey Matt- Why are you looking for something besides the Greenlander Pro? My experience has been that it outsurfs a Romany (in terms of grabbing a wave more easily) and is easily maneuverable as long as you remember to lean back a little bit to pull the bow up when it wants to bury. I agree with Nigel that you are at the upper level of the weight range for a Romany, because I was there a few years ago, weight wise and upper body wise. I bought a Pintail for maneuverability and that was fine, but when I cranked out a straight line paddle I always felt like I was climbing my bow wave because I squatted the boat down too much into the water. The Romany has more volume than the Pintail or Anas, and I know alot of coaches that prefer to teach from a Romany because they can maneuver easily about their students, but for a trip they will paddle an Explorer. The P and H Cetus is definitely a boat to consider. I’ve only paddled it on flatwater and was impressed with it’s liveliness, and eyeballing the hull looked like it would surf pretty well, though I need to find a demo for conditions to try out that impression. All that said, my Greenlander Pro is still my go-to boat for good long boat surfing. Good paddling with you in Bogue Inlet. Cheers----------------Kevin

There is a Romany for sale PNet
classified. Bowler1 is listed as the seller. Dude this is too wierd

P and H Cetus
Steve Maynard says that a Cetus is his next boat!

It’s an older, lower volume version.

Classified listing
Yeah, the one I picked up is too small for me unfortunately. I really liked it otherwise; however, given its tight fit not only could I not really use it, but the handling was very much compromised as well so I did not really get a super good feel for what the boat can do if it were to fit properly.

I am still trying to figure out the history on the one I have for sale…Nigel told me it was an older one with a lower front deck, but upon looking at emails from the person I bought it from, he says it is a 2001 model in which case maybe it is a true LV model (has no decals on it whatsoever so I don’t know).

Matt

Pintail
Actually the Pintail is considerably larger than an Anas. It has more volume than the Avocet. I own both an Anas and an Avocet, I am 5’11" and 175lbs. I am probably pushing the envelope with the Anas, but I just love that boat. My brother is about 210lbs and really doesn’t fit in the Anas, He has a Avocet and a Pintail, and the Pintail fits him fine.

Also, I have heard through the grapevine that Valley is offering the standard Anas with a keyhole cockpit, and a new Anas HV (not the Q boat) also with a keyhole.

The Pintail has more displacement…
…than the AA. It will handle paddlers up to ~200 pounds.

AA paddler limit?
What is the general opinion about the total load limit of an AA…paddler and gear yet retaining decent performance while touring?

matt:
I paddle a pintail and a greenlander, both OC. I’m 5’9" and 175#, stocky upper body. I fit in an AA fine, but my pintail has noticeably more volume. I would suggest you try one out, at your size you may find the fit agreeable.

As several others here told me when I was contemplating getting the pintail, I couldn’t have two boats much more different than these two. I like the greenlander for tripping but take the pintail out to play in the surf and rock gardens.

Just my 2 cents.

I weigh 175-180 these days…

– Last Updated: Jun-28-07 11:26 AM EST –

...and that's fine in the AA. I don't have a lot of freeboard, but that's the way I like it.

Weight
I weigh about the same as Brian ~175. Add on your winter clothing, and kit etc. Another 30-40 lbs maybe. That probably pretty close to as much as I would want in it.

Light weekend limit
Since we all weigh the same, seems like it should be able to handle a lightweight weekend camping trip for me. For some reason using an AA for that seems just right. Once I get that done, I want to do so with a traditional SOF, but rationality may get in the way.