Anatomy of a put-in

Hand launch only area sounds like :heart:

Celia found one such launch near me, and I wonder if there’s a nice map like that for this area. GoPaddling app is decent too (I downloaded it), although sometimes the information on the launches is lacking. Probably I’ll end up just going to various places I find on that app and seeing for myself, or asking around. Then check for things such as having a restroom for when I get back, having a good amount of space, and a decent parking area (around here, not sure how picky I can be on parking!).

There are plenty of nice state parks in WA too that we frequent, and they have good facilities. I mostly haven’t evaluated them for the purposes of kayaking, but we went to Saltwater State Park last weekend. It is nice but has lots of obstacles in the way like large driftwood, rocks, etc.

Interesting, I didn’t know that. However, it doesn’t seem like there’s a lot of public waterfront along the various rivers. For instance, I was thinking it might be nice to explore the upper reaches of the South River, near the Rt 50 crossing, but I haven’t been able to find a place to put in. Rt. 450 runs along a good stretch, but there’s no parking/stopping along there.

Ah, nunio, you are in the garden spot. Annapolis is loaded with launches. Annapolis Canoe and Kayak is on 3rd Street, Chesapeake Light Craft is there 1805 George Ave. They have a paddle demo tryout right about on the red dot.

You have a lot to live for.

1 Like

Jonas and Anne Catharine Green Park.is under 450, but that’s on the Severn. Davidsonville has a park with water access to the Patuxent which goes to Jug Bay, but you want South River. You aren’t looking for buried treasure are you? Truxton Park? South River, hmmm??? Have you been to Spring River-Annapolis Canoe and Kayak?

That is one of the more entertaining put-ins at the end of a portage but it’s all a part of the fun of paddling in Canada. In this case it is the end of the fourth (of 5) portages around falls on the Batchawana. A few scratches on the gelcoat are good for a canoe. If I have it correct, the Rendezvous was about 24 years old on that trip.

I prefer the out-of-the-way waters. Not interested in paddling around marinas and people’s back yards. I’ve done Jug Bay, but the Patuxent is more interesting (to me) north of 50, in the woods. More work to get there, but wilder.

2 Likes

Got it. Have you asked around at Spring River. Those guys have given me a lot of tips.

Ideal for me is sand, preferably slightly convex and long enough for my boat to be sideways, and close to parking.

1 Like

Don’t like mud. Or sharp rocks.

TBH, no I haven’t. I tend to look for places most sane people wouldn’t consider paddling even if there was ample parking and a manicured put-in. For example, I used to put in on the Pax where it crosses under Brock Bridge Rd. (There used to “parking” on the shoulder near the bridge, presumably created by fisherman, but it’s since been cleaned up, grown over and I’m not about to create new “parking” myself.)

Can you provide a short summary of what this file is?

1 Like

My number one priority is a place to park my truck and trailer where there is security. there is no joy in paddling away only to have to worry whether your vehicle will be the same when you return. It has gotten so bad here that a-holes will steal your catalytic converter, or anything else they can get away with. Fortunately my half dozen, or so favorite spots are fairly safe if not for security at least there are usually plenty of people around. I’ve been pretty lucky, but I did have the license plate ripped off my trailer.at a place that has a security patrol.

About a year, or so ago, I learned a lesson that I hope not to repeat. I always enter and exit my boats in the water–never on the beach. This one particular time there was a particularly very low tide when I was done for the day. When I stepped out of the baot in about a foot of water, I sunk a little into a kind of mud that normally is covered by a few feet of water. I was well aware that this mud was there, but I found a spot that felt a little better and thought I could handle things the way I usually do. I get out and stand along side the boat, then hoist it onto my shoulder and carry it up to my rig. When I picked the boat up, I didn’t realize that the extra weight had caused me to sink a little deeper into the mud and when I attempted to take a step, the mud didn’t let go and I fell down with the boat. I did manage a soft landing for the boat, but it was embarrassing to look so clumsy in front of all the sunbathers on the beach. Of course, there was a helpful fellow who offered to drag the boat onto the beach. Which I had to refuse but thanked him for the offer.

2 Likes

Ah, you live in Portland or somewhere near there? Yes theft has gotten out of hand during the pandemic in Seattle as well and many other cities. Luckily I have not experienced any problem yet with this knock on wood

Shanks Mare on the Susquehanna, below York, PA, is one of the best sites I’ve used. Parking is right next to the launch area. The beach is fine gravel with solid footing that’s easy on the boat. I like to partially float the boat then get in and set up/zeroize my GPS and record time. Then I can put my hands in the water and lift the boat out until it’s floating.

2 Likes

That is a cool map. I fell in and did a Magooch yesterday. Not pretty,

You paddle thst area?

I paddled with a group at a Meetup outing. I also got out on what I thought was solid bottom, NOT. My feet sunk in a few inches of clay. My right leg isn’t real functional but a couple of guys came over and pulled me out.

1 Like

I like the following:

1. solid road to the site (as in not wanting to push the car out of a mud hole after a day spent on the water)
  2. Either few number of steps down to the water or level ground.
  3. uncontested parking lot ( I will come back latter if there are too many people)
  4. slow moving water or a wave break to create calm water for launching
  5. Not a swimming spot.
  6. few or no 12 boat trailers with the names of outfitters on the side of the van.

To find the sites, Generally I rely upon word of mouth or an afternoon spent with a full tank of gas, full cup of coffee in search of the answer to “what is at the end of this road?” Maps are good but if I see it on a map, others will too which leads to a crowded launch point. I have also had a lot of folks drive down my road and ask me where is the boat landing that the map tells them is there. (There is no public launch on my road.)

1 Like