Andromeda - Question

I want to paddle them all…
But ARE YOU SURE you aren’t looking to unload that CD Extreme? :slight_smile:

Andromeda Stain
I mean, seriously, what the hell is the Andromeda Stain? Ever heard of the movie? Sounds like something my mamma can’t even Shout out of my shirts. Is that like ring around the collar meets the ring around Uranus? The planets, that is. I just don’t get why they called that movie the Andromeda Stain. Sorry, I see that this is a paddling website, but I googled you looking for answers to my questions about the movie. I will sign off now and resume said google. Party on, Garth!

Valley’s hidden specs.
I don’t have any experience with Valley boats, and realize they do have a following. Am I the only one seriously bothered that they won’t give out specs on storage volume ?

agree with nj
I spent many hours in the old Nordkapp with ocean cockpit. Excellent touring boat, but not especially fun for playing around like a Pintail, Romany, etc. I don’t like the Jubilee nearly as much as the original boat. But it’s better positioned to sell. Didn’t like the Aquanaut either really, but likewise that boat will sell well. I’ve come to believe that most touring kayakers really want a tracky, relatively stable boat. Most think they need more room than they do. Speed is so over emphasised I think with newer paddlers who may not understand that the actual differences among many of these yaks is quite small. I know very few people who tour at 5 knots. If speed is truly important, then I’d focus on a legitimate fast boat such as the Epic 18, or a surf ski. Comparisons among similar Brit / Greenland styles in terms of speed are really mute I think, but do believe that tracking and glide give people the perception of speed. I spent a few years testing for Sea Kayaker so my thoughts are based on a lot of real world testing, collecting data etc. For example, I covered routinely 40 knots in a day in the Nordkapp. But did likewise in a 16 Romany without any perceived difference in effort. The Romany was more fun and allowed for more play. This is a known slow boat, but in reality is plenty efficient. To me, it’s playful and fast enough, or surf ski etc. Stuff in the middle is not that interesting. Cheers.

Lee
It’s funny how my taste in kayaks is abnormal. I far prefer the Chatham 16 to the 17. Way more playful, goes along just fine, excellent rough water, high wind boat. 17 is more tracky with a big cockpit, that I’m sure sells better.

same here
the shop here has a carboncomposite Ch17 and I’ve got a plastic 16 and a glass Ch18,I think I’d rather have a composite 16

NEVER!
Now I’m not sure I want to let you paddle the Extreme. If you decide to run for it, I’ll never be able to catch you in one of the other boats.

storage?
Hi dave-216,

Part of the problem I have with specs is I am not sure I would put much faith in them. For years the weights of boats listed have generally not been the weights delivered. I am sure each company had a boat, at one time, that is the published weight but that does not mean that is the general weights of the boats sold.

I tend to group boats as to size

NDK Romany @ 16 feet and moderate beam is not going to haul a lot of gear

Valley Avocet at about the size of the Romany is not going to haul a lot of gear.

I am sure the Tempest line has one in this size range. I would buy the one that sits the best for me. I would not really care if one held a pint or two more of water.

If I want a British design boat for longer trips I would look at what the companies have in their larger boats and test paddle. Get the one that test paddled best for me.

If I do not care so much on how a boat paddles and I want to take the Dutch oven on the trip I would look at really large volume boats.

It would be nice to have storage listed by the manufacturer but how reliable is it?

Plenty of room
Guys, I’ve done month long trips out of Nordkapp and Romany, and lived in some style. I came from an alpine climbing guide background, so to me even a small yak has a lot of space. You do have to choose the right gear, and pack well. (No rubbery dry bags!) I think people would enjoy extended trips better if they were less encumbered by all the crap they take. Keep it simple. Before you buy a big boat on the basis of perceived need for stowage, learn from those who’ve done long expeditions in these smaller yaks and see if you can do likewise. JMO

It should be listed.
Weight I can understand varying to some degree. But for a given boat, minus any custom repositioning of bulkheads, volume I think should be pretty consistent. It’d certainly help with some pre-paddle comparisons between manufacturers. What’s really the rub, is I just can’t see any good reason for a manufacturer to share it. Can you?

Hey Dogmaticus
The seams on the Andromeda ARE glassed on the inside, FYI. You may also request glassed outer seams if you wish from C.D. I believe the H-channel to be more ‘impact’ resistant from outer hits then the glassed seams. A somewhat minor impact (from another kayaker) on the rear glassed seam of my K.S. Vivianne left me with a split seam around 4-5" long(got to love duct tape). I’ve had and used both types of seamed boats and I don’t know, but the glassed seams show a lot more wear and damage than the H-channel w/glassed inners. Just my observation.