annoying hatches

Only two hands here…
but I usually have to borrow another one from someone. Don’t worry, I always give it back when I’m done.

Well, this pretty much answers
my question. I have learned that:

1. Manufacturers use the neoprene because it’s cheaper
  2. I either need to buy kayaks with the hatches I like or learn to live with the hassle of neoprene.

Thanks for all the helpful input. Now I just need to decide on a boat and go for a week without changing my mind. LOL

Donna

Thanks for the heads up,
saved me from doing extended damage…

What is it about armorall that is so nasty to 'yaks? I must have missed that thread.

Build your own hatches
If you build your own boat, you can select from a whole myriad of hatch types, most of which even keep out water.

Some of those boat builders are pretty smart guys and have come up with numerous ways to keep a hatch on and keep water out. From simple foam gaskets on covers held down with straps and buckles, to flush hatches held down by magnets, or internal bungees, or the “moby system”. Of course some of these methods are a little too elaborate for production boats, but if you build your own you decide what compromises to make, not a manufacturer.

Cheers,

Bryan

VCP hatches
My boat has VCP hatches, and my front compartment takes on water whenever I’m in rough water. I called my dealer, (the boat was brand new this spring,) I expected they would just send me another hatch cover, but they said that VCP hatches virtually never leak, so to find the problem I would have to drive down and have them do a pressure check on my boat. She said it was probably where the recessed deck rigging is screwed in. It’s about three hours in the car to get to my dealer and back, so I’ve been procrastinating. I found VCP hatch covers on line for around 50 and was tempted to just order one and skip the trip down there, but again, I did a little surfing and everything I read says it probably isn’t the hatch cover. Anyone ever have trouble with these hatches? (I should just get off my butt and take the boat down to RI, but with school back in, I just don’t have a whole Saturday to waste.)

In Valley boat?
VCP hatch covers do not leak. However some manufacturers screw the rims down - such as NDK on the day hatches (Valley expoxys them in.) Sometimes there is leakage around the screws or if over tightened from a cracked rim.

You can be pretty positive it is not the hatch covers that are leaking.

Guess it’s not the cover.
Glass Necky Chatham 18. So I guess I should just take the boat down and have it checked out. No charge for it at least.