another gps ?

The CSX has one terrible feature
That is why when we upgraded to the color, after one days use we returned them and went back to the plain 76.

If you punch in a bunch of way points, each one shows up as a big icon on the screen.

Get out in the 10,000 Islands, or some place where you want thirty or forty way points, and they completely cover the map.

Then when you go to change them to a smaller size, you have to do each one individually. You can’t do them all globally.

You have to sit there for the next ten minutes changing each one.

We called Garmin to see if we could do it globally, and they told us there was no way. We advised them that they should send their designer out to try it out!

It would be a great GPS, if it wasn’t for that, but until they change that feature, which they probably won’t I would never have one. The plain old Map 76 has nice little icons and a bigger screen area.

Cheers,

JackL

car gps
Another way to go (maybe) is using your car gps. I have a Garmin Nuvi (sp) in the car and it is waterproof, has a mount to put on the deck of kayak, has all the water mps built in (no ultra detail) and is easy to read in daylight. Now you wont be able to plot, and many other features are missing, but if you just want to go out for few hours and want to know where you are and what way is back to the car, this is a great way to go. You can save favorite places and save them on the computer back home. Not the tool for the adventure outdoorsman, but a simple and great way to not get lost. Battery life might be an issue and you might not leave it on, but I have gone this route and was pleased with it.

this sounds cheaper too.
maybe i will go this route! thanks everyone for all the great tips and info.