Another kayaker missing

@Overstreet said:

@Rookie said:

@Overstreet said:
Y’all talk funny.

Nah, the “acks” just make it easy for the natives to identify the fudgies. :wink:

…and what’s all that about fudge anyway? There are better desserts.

Never understood the fudge thing, but they’ve been selling it on the island since 1887. Maybe the allure of watching it being made? I’m an ice cream gal…

@Overstreet said:

…and what’s all that about fudge anyway? There are better desserts.

obviously, you’ve never had Krumps (Harbor Springs) (though, this was a good number of years ago, still there?)
actually, never was much of a fudgie, I kind of went for Al Meda (whose original home place was a few doors down on Crooked Lake). Those chocolate sticks - hmmmm.

Chocolate and over sugary stuff is Qruiser’s department.

From tragedy to chocolate.
Only on the internet.

The fudge is preferable to the ghastly “salt water taffy” I recall from my childhood visits to tourism ghettos on the New England coast. That stuff always reminded me of vaguely perfumed semi-hardened construction caulk.

@string said:
Only on the internet.

Naw we could do that at just about any camp fire. Either way the kayaker is still missing.

Yup. It is sad. But there is only so long a bunch of old folks can thrash this kind of thing. I had to run 7 hours back home for a funeral partway thru Maine time and stopped by to find a friend in the ER today who is being admitted for a postoperative problem. A week after l sent a card to a friend who was home from ICU after a different post op problem.

I am hardly the only one on this board who can report this kind of month.

To the altered topic, fudge is the only form of chocolate l really really like. Am always happy to read about new makers l should try.

@Celia said:
Yup. It is sad. But there is only so long a bunch of old folks can thrash this kind of thing. I had to run 7 hours back home for a funeral partway thru Maine time and stopped by to find a friend in the ER today who is being admitted for a postoperative problem. A week after l sent a card to a friend who was home from ICU after a different post op problem.

I am hardly the only one on this board who can report this kind of month.

To the altered topic, fudge is the only form of chocolate l really really like. Am always happy to read about new makers l should try.

I only like bittersweet.

like chocolate for water
personalities floating
devices
or vices
verse a
lack of…
sense
sweetness
won’t buoy
the spirit

In judgement sat the missing soul.
Nay! Lay, and here lies shocker.
Kangaroo court’s sentence comes late to pass,
for what’s locked in Mr. Jones’s locker.

Not to change the topic but when I lived in Nevada it was Ne-va (as in vat) da.
But that was Reno and the locals were all from Norcal or yankees.

Well I try to get anyone around a water over 3 feet deep to wear a PDF and around docks. I have pulled more than one person out of the water around docks. Quite frankly falling/slipping off a dock is pretty easy to and it is dangerous. I just do not understand not wearing a PFD on the water.

It seems that on a dock a helmet is a good idea. We have a floating dock system for six boats… When the wakes come in that thing bucks like an untamed horse…
Especially if you have been having a brew or two.

@string said:
Only on the internet.

From what I can tell the recommendation is to eat more fudge to help make sure your PFD doesn’t slip off if you accidentally fall into the water.

@Celia said:
One of the biggest statistics I remember from my original lifesaving class a surprisingly high percentage of people drown in fairly shallow water - 25% in 3 ft or less. Can be lots of things, feet get taken out from under them, they hit a rock. But shallow water is underrated as a risk, add current and it ramps up.

Great reminder that people drown in 3 feet of water. In my first lifesaving class the instructor chose me to demonstrate what can happen if you get too close to someone that’s drowning…he took me to the bottom of the pool and I thought I was going to die. That lesson has stuck with me.

Overall, one of my biggest takeaways from this local incident is that paddles organized by paddle clubs are not necessarily safe. I remember two different times in the Ann Arbor area where the organizers created or ignored hazards and people ended up in the water.

Still no autopsy results from the local 35 year old man. I’m curious if drugs or alcohol played any role in this one.

@kayamedic said:
It seems that on a dock a helmet is a good idea. We have a floating dock system for six boats… When the wakes come in that thing bucks like an untamed horse…
Especially if you have been having a brew or two.

I think we are not far off from having active clothing…our own personal batsuits that cool or warm us and provide flotation or head protection when needed.

Another hazard most people are not aware of is present around docks at marinas where there are stored boats with electrical hookups. People have been killed by stray currents in the water from poor grounding and faults around marinas. Also there are bilge releases of both petro and biohazard stuff from large boats that make water around marina-adjacent docks an environment one has good reason to avoid.

One of my earliest and most vivid childhood memories is of standing on a long skinny wooden lakeside dock at a one of my dad’s faculty picnics, waiting for a row boat ride. There were about 20 people on that dock, obviously too many for the flimsy old structure and just before it was my turn to step into the row boat at the far end the entire thing suddenly collapsed under us. I struck my chin on the gunwale as I plunged underwater and remember being submerged in yellow green light surrounded by water plants as my mouth filled with blood from having bitten my tongue. At least I was enough of a “water baby” that I did not panic and resisted the reflex to inhale. It was probably only a few seconds before I felt Dad’s strong hands grab me and lift me to the surface but it did seem like time stood still while I was suspended in the water. Quite a few of the foreign students on that dock were non-swimmers. But the lake was probably only 3’ to 5’ deep that near shore and there were enough water savvy people around to pull the flounderers out before there were any tragedies.

maybe I should stay in bed… Oh… but the deadliest room is…
the bathroom
And how do you avoid that? I can’t count the codes I have worked because someone strained at stool That can stop a sick heart

@kayamedic said:
maybe I should stay in bed… Oh… but the deadliest room is…
the bathroom
And how do you avoid that? I can’t count the codes I have worked because someone strained at stool That can stop a sick heart

Make sure you have adhesive duckies in your tub! And thanks for the warning/mental image! 2 of my friends died in their bathrooms.

@kayamedic said:

1. Fiber…
  2. Fluids…
  3. Depends…
  4. At least make sure the door opens out. Or leave it open.

@TomL said:

@string said:
Only on the internet.

@Celia said:
One of the biggest statistics I remember from my original lifesaving class a surprisingly high percentage of people drown in fairly shallow water - 25% in 3 ft or less. Can be lots of things, feet get taken out from under them, they hit a rock. But shallow water is underrated as a risk, add current and it ramps up.

Great reminder that people drown in 3 feet of water. In my first lifesaving class the instructor chose me to demonstrate what can happen if you get too close to someone that’s drowning…he took me to the bottom of the pool and I thought I was going to die. That lesson has stuck with me.

I maybe preaching to the choir here. But I have seen first hand too much tragedy around water. Water safety can never be stressed enough.

Moving water is very often strong. A foot, arm stuck in rock with head in or close to water can easily drown a person. This can be in very shallow water.

Next I have a lot of experience as a life guard (pool and beach), WSIT, NCS BSA Aquatics instructor and National/ World ranked swimmer as a young man. Panic of a person who believes they are drowning can overwhelm a rescuer even one with strong swimming ability. A rescuer should not get within reach of a struggling victim. Try to reach or throw first If you do go you need good training. A rescue surf board, a rescue can or tube should be used. A very very small percentage of the population can swim well enough to rescue a victim on their own. Heck the majority can not swim. As much background as I have I wear a PFD for water activities. Basically things happen…

Ok I will get off my soap box.

simple kayaker
My first lifesaving course (Junior Lifesaving) was when I was in my teens. I was at the youngest age you could take it whatever it was. I was a scrawny kid, more so than the others in the class. But all young girls, no one was an adult size yet.
We all had to be able to swim someone in, holding them close from under the chin to pass the class. Most arrived as solid enough swimmers and passed. I remember it because no matter who I drew they were bigger than me.
After handing out the certificates the instructor told us never ever actually do that. Throw something instead - because anyone who was really drowning was going to take us down too.