any advice on online shopping a kayak?

the Richmond one is closer to me
Actually, I live in Williamsburg.

What kind of kayak would fit both flatwater and mile-wide river (supposing it exists).

a light touring kayak?

thanks for emphasizing on PFD
and do you mean ‘Kestrel 120’ Kayak by Current Designs?

basic instructions…yeah
That one on Craigslist is very classic, I don’t mind used ones at all.

but it’s just over-sized for my apartment.

I can’t think of a place to put it…

maybe something small than that is better.

and,

Thank you for reminding me of safety and instructions.

wow, 320 miles?

to a dealer or an outfitter?

I’ll go take a lesson
I’m sorry I don’t quite understand ‘luck out with’ in this sentence:

%%%

I lucked out with my Emotion Glide that I did buy online…

%%%

not a native speaker…^^

I’ll follow your advice and try to find a lesson.

one more question,

how can I persuade a local dealer to let me try the kayak in water before I buy it?

Lucked out
Lucked out = The person gambled and was lucky that it turned out for the best. They bought online and never tried the boat out but “lucked out” (was lucky) and received a good boat.

Places that are kayaks deakers usually have ways to test ride the boats. Either they are close to a body of water or will arrange a time/place to deliver a boat for you to try out. Kayakers want to try boats out any real kayak dealer will not sell much product without letting them try boats.

If you are dealing more with a hunting/fishing store that has a few kayaks then they may not let you try kayaks out.

Apartment and Classes
This place seem to offer beginner/intermediate classes for $65 without a kayak:

http://www.williamsburgva.gov/Index.aspx?page=698

Take a few classes with them, probably be fun, and you will have a better idea what you want, be safe on the water, and when you start testing out boats you will have a better feel for them. Plus, I am sure they can direct you places you can either just rent from and avoid buying, since you are still in a apartment, as well as the dealers.

Kayaking and apartment life is tough combination. There are decent 12 feet and smaller boats out there which maybe the best you can do – I personally stick with small boats but I don’t do any big water – most of my streams are 3 feet to the bank and happy with my 12’ and under boats.

As for deals at the end of the summer/early fall places that rent and sell kayaks will discount their boats. Good to get to know where the stores are get on their email lists to know about the sales. REI and EMS will blow out lots of their boats for the winter. You may not get a nice color or have unlimited picks but if you have tested out boats by them good chance something you like may drop in price.

Buying used can be a good deal as well as others mentioned. Might be better choice being in a apt. Rental places will also discount boats, pretty much the same as used.

All kayaks are used after a trip or two anyway…

It was a dealer, however…
…the store goes by the name of Evergreen-Outfitters :slight_smile: They’re located in western NY and I’m in the Akron Ohio area.

Nice place and nothing beats taking a kayak out and doing some trial runs. However I have the good fortune of having tried a bunch of different kayaks over the few years I’ve been kayaking and now know what works for me (I sure didn’t during my first summer).

I haven’t begun to reach the limits of my present kayak (just my own).

Have you visited ARC in Hampton?
Appomattox River Co. has a retail store in Hampton on Mercury Blvd. that you should visit. There website is extensive and their main store and warehouse is in Farmville, VA, not a bad drive from Williamsburg if they don’t have what you are interested in at the Hampton Store. This way you get the benefits of online as well as a local store to get questions answered. They are at www.paddleva.com.

Seriously
Drive to Appomatox River Company - knowledgeable folks and their Farmville store has EVERYTHING, meaning they can get it to the Hampton Store. Downside is their demo options are limited.

tidal rivers ARE flatwater
just flatwater with wind and waves and currents and tides. Not unlike the ocean. Just don’t underestimate it, that’s my main caution.

A light touring kayak would probably be fine. Anything you can put a sprayskirt on and roll and that’s efficient enough to paddle against the current. A skeg or a rudder would be nice too. Paddling skills and safety equipment are a must - more important than exactly which hull you paddle.

I’ll second the recommendation for Appomatax River Company. Really nice people. If I lived down there, that’d be my first stop for paddling needs.

apartment storage
Having limited storage is what inflatables and folders are for. You can store a folding kayak like a Pakboat Puffin Saco or XT-15 in a duffel bag in a closet.

no distance too great for the right boat
As for distance, I once drove 450 miles from Pittsburgh to Muskegon, Michigan, then bought a ticket on the high speed car ferry for 2 hours across Lake Michigan to Milwaukee, Wisconsin, to pick up a boat I was buying from an on-line ad, brought it back across on the ferry and drive back 450 miles. So total round trip was about 900 miles on land and 150 over water.

The owner met me at the dock in Milwaukee, I paid him and carried the 18’ kayak onto the ferry and set it on the deck for the return trip. I got teased a lot by other passengers for bringing my own “life boat” and many suggested I should have just paddled it across. But it was well worth the trip – it was a one of a kind hand made kayak and has been wonderful to own and paddle.

And later this month I may drive to upstate New York, 1200 miles round trip, to buy another boat that is for sale up there that I can’t find closer to home. I know folks who have driven clear across the country to pick up a kayak or canoe that was exactly what they wanted.