Any tips for getting noseplugs to stay on

I did suggest roughening pads.

Along with crazy glue :joy:

1 Like

The ones I liked best were made in Germany and featured two round white rubber pads forced together by a fairly strong steel spring. You pull them apart when putting them on, exactly opposite the lousy slippery popular noseclips that all shops sold.

The photo of the ones sold by Kayak Academy look identical to the ones I described above. I remember that the spring and pads came unassembled, and fitting the nubs on the pads into the spring’s ends was a PITA. But those noseclips were far and away better than any others made. Worth the extra cost and PITA.

The side of the pads contacting the nose had concentric circular raised rings that helped with traction. They were good, but you still should wipe off any oily residue on the nose before putting them on. Sunscreen and skin oil make even this kind of clip less tenacious. As long as I did that, they stayed on no matter how swirly or slammy the water was. The other kind of clips I tried (might have been Smiley’s) were unreliable in rough water, and the cheap metal retainer broke after many uses. It did not like the repeated metal fatiguing.

In contrast, the German “headphone” clips were so sturdy that it was the rubber nubs that eventually wore down—after literally thousands of rolls. Luckily, once I knew I like them I had ordered another three pairs so I would never need to order them again.