any tips for solo launching in surf

Thanks, my issue the other day was that I felt that didn’t have time to sort out my own launch after sending two novices on their way. One novice was not following instructions all that well and I felt like I needed to get straight out there to round them up. Good learning opportunity.

I have skegged boats so going out backwards is a general habit.

But it provides an added comfort factor for me in at least minor waves, l feel like l am better able to handle the boat going butt first.

Think you may have seen this launch maneuver with the “Small Craft Advisory” crew:

Here is one of the worse type of surf launch spot – a steep dumping break. Can break a kayak, along with the rider! Not a beach break to take novices out, especially on a bigger wave day.

That’s tough! They have to follow directions – get outside of the break zone; stay close and WAIT! (Also, need to understand to stay on the ocean side of the kayak if they end up swimming in the surf zone.)

sing

1 Like

Yes, that’s the manoever I was referring to, though I hadn’t seen that video.
I did a quick search, and this is the one I’d seen (time marked to correct section), with a little verbiage describing it.

3 Likes

Nice! An “oldie but goodie” video. The clear explanation is useful. Another reason why I think video is such a great tool!

sing

1 Like

Some great videos and tips there. They remind me of my waveski surfing days. My shortest ski was a 7’2” fibreglass foam sandwich custom. Anyway I notice in some of the vids, people using their paddle to push off from the ground. It was drummed in to us never to push off using your paddle be because of stresses you put onthe shaft and more particularly the blade. I learned not to the hard way losing a blade early in a session.

Definitely a no-no, especially with carbon fiber paddles (FG blades are pretty indestructible as evident in white water usage). I have cracked several carbon fiber blades pushing off on surf launches. I should know better and yet continue to do it because I want to get into and through the surf zone ASAP.

Likewise, I have learned composite repair from smashing fin boxes and holing my waveskis on my rocky home break. Frankly, I am hard and borderline abusive of my equipment. I am all about the “play.” I don’t care what my equipment looks like as long as it’s functional.

The “rocky music” of my north shore homebreak:

sing

Oh, I know that heat of the moment well :grinning: we are only human after all. I can remember catching waves that exposed the reef in their trough. Thinking is this all that wise LOL but I did always make that part of the section.

That was in Tasmania, now I Iive in tropical Far North Queensland. No swell waves here only wind chop. The Great Barrier Reef does away with any swell.