Anyone not wear a PDF here?

As others have said, it depends.
Based on an assessment of conditions and planned activity, I’ll make a decision of whether or not to wear one.

bike and motorcycle helmets

– Last Updated: Aug-12-13 10:23 AM EST –

The bike and motorcycle helmets are good analogies. A bike and motorcycle helmet is the PDF to the biking and motorcycling world.

The 2nd year I had my motorcycle, PA reverted the helmet law. At that point on, I saw maybe 25% wearing a helmet. I tried it on the first day. I ran 3 miles down the road to the store without my helmet. From then on, I still wore my full face helmet.

I can't say that about the bike helmet. My kids wear them, I don't. It was just tooling around on the bike trail for years with the kids, but a week and a half ago, I started riding by myself for exercise. I need to get a helmet and will wear it, I just haven't yet. I remember back as a kid, I did have some serious wipeouts on the bike and we didn't wear helmets back then, but that's not a good excuse for today. I do need to get one and use it.

As for renting and them not giving a PDF, I think the boating regulations here in PA are for over 12 years old, a PDF must be present for each person over 12, but not required to be actively wearing. 12 and under they must wear. That is for regular boats, I have no idea for single man boats or non-motorized boats like canoes or kayaks. In the rental kayaks there isn't anywhere to store one, so it wasn't a "must be present" thing. Folks just didn't have them on as they left the launch. I saw the folks coming back on the rental pontoons though giving back the I guess type II life preservers that their kids were wearing. All the rentals I've investigated also have you sign a release form for liability, I don't know how that works out for sending folks off without a PDF.

I do agree with most of you, you should wear one no matter what the water you are paddling. I planned to rent the boat and hug along the shore line. I don't look it with my overweight status, but I am a very strong swimmer. Still was able to swim half a mile against the current following my wife and kids as they hunted shark teeth while we were at Myrtle Beach with no problems, though it was extremely tiring (side stroke is the key when you fatigue, I have no problems with that even extremely tired after following them down the coast.) Like others, I don't see a problem when on the lake if I would capsize, I wouldn't be too far from shore to swim in a little until it was shallow enough, it's pretty shallow for quite a ways out away from the shore anyways. I'd never rent and go on the river without wearing a PDF. My kids are very strong swimmers as well, but I would have them wearing a PDF as well no matter what the law is. My 9 year old in the pool I can't even talk to her because she is under water 90% of the time, LOL.

Great responses here, Thanks.

reason not to?
There really isn’t a reason outside of the superficial.

People also don’t get colonoscopies, eat poorly, and smoke. So there is that.

Ryan L.

Did you know that colonoscopies do not
prevent cancer and death any better than a test for blood in the stool?

On the other hand, if you enjoy the procedure…

Just for the sake of argument…
If a person who is NOT wearing a pfd gets themselves into a situation, where it is likely they will drown if somebody does not come to their aid; is it reasonable for the non pfd wearing person to expect other people to risk their life to save them?

BOB

alright
http://www.nih.gov/researchmatters/march2012/03052012colonoscopies.htm

Ryan L.

Rolling Over
Have you tried your PFD to see if it would roll you over if you were unconscious? Most of the PFDs that I have tried will keep you afloat, but will not roll you over if you are unconscious.

I was about to raise that same issue.
Comparable to carrying a concealed firearm for your own protection if a situation should arise where someone you know is very much opposed to the idea of carrying firearms for self defense. Why put yourself at risk for their comfort? Or stupidity.

Don’t end up on the local news…
Here in Oregon, like most states, you have to have one with you but don’t have to wear it. That’s a pretty stupid law, since in an emergency, you won’t have time to put it on. Every week or so, there’s another story on the local news about a kayaker or power boater who drown in seemingly benign conditions and guess what? Almost all of those deaths could have been prevented if they had a pdf on.

As in “ought not incur a personal risk”

– Last Updated: Aug-12-13 1:07 PM EST –

to assist saving someone who thinks more of their personal comfort than potential safety or enhanced ability to render aid, should the situation arise? You could be right.

I would most certainly presume, as a value judgement, that a person wearing a PFD would prefer maximizing their odds at continuing life over the higher possibility of drowning without one, but leave open the possibility that they may have decided otherwise and wished to be reported out as "....and the body was found not wearing a PFD when recovered...".

Heat
I paddle in some pretty hot weather, so I often get in and out of my canoe for a swim.

I wonder if those in the “always wear” camp wear a pfd when swimming.

I prefer
to wear a PFD. Chances are I won’t get in a situation where I need it but who knows? Also even though a person may think they’re safe by sticking close to shore, there could be currents and there could be drop-offs. There have been several drownings in a local lake because there is a 30ft drop-off close to shore, so you never know what’s down there.

Knee deep water, not a riffle in sight,
the next boat is 100 yards away, the sky if clear blue and its 100 degrees. Then I would OPEN my PFD.

Most states require a PFD…
to be on the boat but few require you to actually wear the thing.

On calm water, I never do.

On the ocean or a moving river, all the time.

Many people think I am stupid but, if so, don’t paddle with me.

won’t roll over

– Last Updated: Aug-12-13 2:00 PM EST –

Yes, this is true..unless you are wearing a life jacket(the kind that goes up around your neck), your pfd likely won't flip you onto your back if you are unconscious, so you can certainly still drown. But at least if you were knocked unconscious, they would be able to find you quickly and drag you to shore/to a boat to resuscitate you, instead of you sinking down and being dead for sure.

I just don't understand people who don't wear them "because the water is calm". There are quite a number of deaths that happen in seemingly "entirely safe" waters, and not far from shore. Being a great swimmer may not save you. Of course, there are exceptions. Obviously if you are using your sit on top as a dock and swimming off it, you won't be wearing a PFD!

pfd
the only time I don’t wear one is if the weather and water is warm enough to go swimming anyway and I am not alone, on flatwater. In that case it might be next to me with the strap looped on my belt.

Cool conditions = wear it

alone = wear it

swiftwater = wear it

strainers = wear it

That goes for my canoes, my kayak and my 21ft outboard fishing boat

I like my friends and family, and they at least tell me they like me.

i have paddled
100 miles in 95 degree heat, for much of it. I survived.

I do if I’m in water deeper than I can touch and not in a swimming pool.

For experienced swimmers, I assume not wearing the PDF is part of the risk, and not conducive for the activity. Note, by swimming, I mean stroke swimming.

Ryan L.

Just got back and
the temperature all day was in the ninties with the heat index well over a hundred.

I am quite sure if I had my PFD on, the Lake patrol would have been taking me to the hospital with heat stroke.

There are certain times when a PFD can be a killer, and there are a few long time posters that post here who will know what I am talking about.

Use your head and wear them if you need too, but don’t say it is an absolute must that they should be worn at all times.

Jack L

PA Law Change
PA recently changed the PFD requirement for kayaks to require a PFD be worn in any canoe/kayak from Nov 1 to April 30.

yes
I agree, if you are alone you should absolutely wear one. I’d more lenient if I knew there were those around you who would notice if you went in the drink.