Anyone not wear a PDF here?

Wait a minute…
So the law says now that during the time when it would probably more likely to be enthusiasts out in kayaks and canoes you must wear a PDF but during the times when it is more likely to be a larger ratio of folks who are out on the water for the first time or out without the knowledge of what to do you don’t have to wear one?

That makes a lot of sense. That’s like requiring motorcycle helmets to be worn in the winter when no one is riding a motorcycle…

All this time
I’ve been reading the posts, even yours and didn’t catch it. Finally just caught it. PDF… PFD… Pfffftttt…

LOL

Call Me Crazy
I don’t live in Texas, but have paddled a lot of days in the MO Ozarks in upper 90 and 100 degree temps. Everybody has the right to do what they want, but don’t tell a newbie paddler it’s “Dangerous” to wear a PFD when it’s hot. What new paddlers need to understand is that they need to find a good fitting PFD that’s going to be comfortable heat or not.

I do
So does the rest of family, don’t really care about anyone else, it’s their decision, and their life. Tkamd

the reason is …

– Last Updated: Aug-13-13 9:22 PM EST –

..... the water temperatures during the mandatory months .

Been that same mandatory law for the Potomac river in MD/VA for many years now ... it's the combination of the river's history , the cold air and the cold water temps. during the mandatory wear months . Those things which make it more dangerous and increase risk .

They also may be tired of endless searching for a missing person , when one in a PFD would be found much quicker .

Pennsylvania law
I see you are in the same state (PA) – Pennsylvania boating law is that you MUST have a Coast Guard approved PFD WITH you in the boat (any boat) but are not required to wear it unless you are under 16. The people you saw without PFD’s in rental boats probably had the orange “May Wests” stashed under the decks.

I think the state law is stupid – like saying it’s OK to drive without your seat belt on as long as there is a seat belt installed in the car. Or ride your bike with the helmet bungeed to the tail rack.

BTW, there is a $75 fine if the Fish Police catch you without PFD in the boat for each passenger. You also need to pay for a $10 a year launch permit sticker to put your boat in the water in any area that is under the Fish and Game or DCNR administration. Since it is not always possible to know what areas are covered by this, better to be safe than sorry. You can buy them on line at the PA DCNR site.

Just some tips as you progress into getting involved in paddling in PA.

I always wear a PFD. I have an Astral V-8 which is ventilated and quite comfortable on hot days. I recommend anyone who paddles read the PA state annual report on boating deaths (I’m sure other states publish them too). Far too many of the deceased had no PFD.

I always wear one
unless I am paddling my SUP. In that case the board is my PFD.

Amen.

Problem is
there is no PFD that is comfortable in the heat, with the possible exception of those “pull-the-string-to-inflate” things that wrap around your neck, which I have never tested. But having some synthetic tube wrapped around my neck does not sound very comfortable either.

PFD law in PA. …

– Last Updated: Aug-14-13 8:44 AM EST –

...... a ways back in this thread ShagyClip spoke about a change to Pa. PFD laws .

He mentioned that between Nov. and Apr. the "wearing" of the PFD has become mandatory .

I responded saying that the same law has been in place when upon the Potomac river in MD/VA for some years now .

Has thwere been a change to PA. law for mandatory wear as he mentioned ??

Maybe it's only for a certain river or rivers like MD/VA ??

There's also the mandatory wear upon certain designated WW sections in MD during the intire year .

“impossible” is a stretch IMO

– Last Updated: Aug-14-13 8:52 AM EST –

But everyone is different. I can say with confidence that I could do it, my PFD isn't very bulky and leaves a lot exposed. I'd rely on the water to cool me so anything too dirty to do so would be out.

I agree we all have different reactions to temperatures though.

I still want
a waterproof deck hatch w/clear cover to hold an Ipad.

sure it is
A rescue requires quick action. This precludes the navel-gazing presumption of the victim’s motivations in not carrying a PFD.

People help other people who make mistakes and THEN teach them not to make the same mistake twice. Otherwise, no one learns a darn thing.

not me

– Last Updated: Aug-14-13 9:02 AM EST –

But when I'm swimming my intent is to swim, and I don't swim where I may need a rescue. OTOH I'll dump from my boat if conditions permit and the temps get to me. My PFD stays wet for awhile.

If conditions do not permit, there is likely a strong wind and I'm getting soaked with cool water.

What do all of you who paddle without a PFD in the oppressive heat and blazing sun do to counter sun exposure? sunscreen isn't going to cut it for long.

kayamedic is right
Conditions at that location can easily make swimming to a point impossible.

drink water
That’s my precaution.

A well designed pfd will not effect your survival status in the heat.

I’ll go with slush’s response to swimming.

Ryan L.

A PFD no matter…
how well designed will impact your body temperature. I’m not questioning your ability to deal with it safely and effectively.

I’m just pointing out that the “one size fits all” statement of “always wear” doesn’t apply to all situations and all people. It sounds a lot like “always bow and stern lines”.

Situations
We’re not all the same, nor do we paddle the same craft in the same conditions. Often, the canoe for us is a means to access an isolated swimming spot.

I’ll wear long sleeves and long pants instead of suntan lotion. I can’t stand the stuff.

I’m not trying to preach

– Last Updated: Aug-14-13 11:55 AM EST –

I'm not the sort of person to reprimand anyone on the water for not wearing theirs, unless conditions really make me think of doing so. Even then I'll just make a suggestion and leave it at that. One reason I always wear my PFD and virtually always wear my sprayskirt is that I'm so used to doing so that I no longer notice the difference.

I asked what people do about the sun because I knew how you might answer. so doesn't the clothing make it as hot as a PFD would?

Sometimes I bike without a helmet. I just don't get skiing without one, though, because in addition to protecting your head, it keeps you warm. regarding this topic, I feel most strongly about helmets while skiing and motorcycling. Not doing so makes no sense to me in any condition.

ill go with that
But pfd while paddling is generally a good idea for oneself and others. But yes, I guess its not always needed, and seat belts occasionally kill a few people.

Ryan L.