Anyone switched from...

That’s the reason
I started kayaking. Conditions that would make me stay onshore in a canoe make me drool as a kayaker, and want to be out there. There are very few days I can’t kayak somewhere.

As others have said, both have their place. And if SWMBO didn’t have a huge problem with anything tandem (She MUST be in complete control at all times), I’d probably canoe more. I save the canoe for days she can’t paddle, or doesn’t feel like it (Which isn’t often).

Personally, I love tandem canoeing. It’s like dancing when you do it right. It’s a shame I don’t canoe more than I get to.

Wayne

Canoes and wind
Without a doubt a kayak handles wind better as it has a lower profile and using a double blade it’s all power strokes. This gives you better control. However, with a canoe, once you figure things out, can be a lot of fun in the wind. You can use that higher hull as a sail and let the wind work you down the lake. Keeping your boat trimmed is really important as well; bow down into the wind, stern down with a tailwind. Part of the fun of a canoe is learning how to make it work for you in all conditions. Again, however a double blade in a canoe allieviates alot of control issues. I usually carry a bent shaft, a beavertail and…a kayak paddle in case it gets tough going.

A rudder on a solo canoe helps in wind
and waves. (I’m putting on my flame proof suit now) I have one on my Sawyer Summersong solo canoe and paddling possible and enjoyable in conditions that I’d avoid without the rudder.

say WHAT!!??
with flames coming outta my mouth… you have a rudder on a canoe? isn’t that what your paddle is for?

canoes in wind and waves

– Last Updated: Mar-24-07 8:29 AM EST –

I just read your other post about a tandem/solo boat that would work for you. If you are looking at paddling a canoe in rough conditions, I'm even more convinced that you should get a solo (which is what you are asking about on this thread anyway). I haven't paddled all of the solos that are out there, but have spent rough water time in a lot of them. Here are the ones that I would recommend looking at:

Swift Osprey or Shearwater
Bell Merlin II or Magic
Hemlock Kestrel or Peregrine

Of that list, I have spent significant rough water time in the Osprey and Magic. If you aren't overly comfortable in canoes, the Magic will be a more reassuring ride, but both are excellent boat. I've spent enough time in nasty weather in the Peregrine to know that it will be a very reassuring ride as well.

Other folks will disagree with me on this point, but I think you should also strongly consider getting a spray cover from Cooke Custom Sewing or Northwater. I haven't had much of a problem taking water on in really bad conditions, but the cover really helps when you are paddling in the wind.

Other folks have suggested looking at Charlie Wilson's boats (Placid Boat Works). Dave Yost, who designs Charlie's boats, is one of the best in the business at coming up with designs that are easy to handle in a wide range of conditions, and Charlie is one of the most respected names in canoeing. I haven't paddled the Placid boats enough to have an opinion on them, but with Charlie and Dave involved in designing and building them, they are definitely worth considering.

Wind in the Gon
With my wife and daughter I’ve been tripping up in Algonquin and the surrounding area for some years now. Sometimes we’re in tandems sometimes in solo canoes. As you’ve noticed things can get very windy on some Algonquin lakes at times. In the “Gon” the winds are known to be most fierce on the east-west lakes with the winds coming out of the west most often. The lakes in the western highlands of the Park have the strongest winds due to that area’s proximity to the Georgian Bay. The winds typically are calm during the morning hours and again in the late afternoon and evenings – they pick up in the afternoon. As others have learned over the ions one tries to travel when the wind is relatively calm and/or plan your route to avoid east/west lakes during the windy afternoon – or at least plan your route so the wind is at your back rather than attempting to struggle against it.

kayak > canoe
I made the switch so my dog could go with me:

www.canoedog.net

David