Anyone use a Fishing Kayak just for fun?

String, sorry it dissapointed :confused:

I would pass on the Pelican. That thing is 34 inches wide. I cannot imagine that being any fun to paddle. Also is your dog going to be happy sitting on a hatch cover in the bow?? Did you look at the Native Slayer 12 or 14. They are very good boats, have the fishing chair you want, an open bow, and the 14 at least paddles faster than most fishing barges. I would also check out the Perception Pescador Pro. It also has the fishing seat and the open bow. I donā€™t think the Hobie paddle kayaks work for you because the bigger ones have bow hatches. If you give up the seat, then you have a lot more options for you and the dog. Definitely an Ocean or Feelfree come to mind. The recreational sit on tops donā€™t eat up space with closed hatch compartments for fishing gear, leaving more room for the dog. A lot of people do use a front hatch or gator hatch for the dog. They just take off the hatch cover. If the boat has an open hatch and you capsize, thatā€™s a problem in a 70 pound sit on top.

Out in the T160 today. My partnerā€™s Jack Russell, who normally sits in her tankwell, hopped on my bow deck and loved it. She obviously loved being the lead dog.

I paddled an Ascend FS12T for fun - for exactly 3 trips before I sold it. I am positive that this kayak appeals to individuals who will use it as intended - primarily for fishing - but as a dual-purpose / play kayak, Iā€™m not so convinced. When I paddled in groups, it reminded me of the time when all my friends got 10 speeds for the holidays, and I was still stuck with my ole single speed bmx bike. Just trying to keep up with the group was exhausting.

Pros: Super comfy seat. Heaps of room for your gear - your friends gear, and your friendā€™s cousins gear. Very stable. Drifting down stream is an absolute dream with a few course corrections. Super comfortable. It was like hanging out on a recliner bobbing down the streamā€¦

Just bear in mind - despite the comfort level of the seat - it was clearly manufactured exactly like the mini beach chairs youā€™d find at your local dollar store. It wasnā€™t a revolutionary design, or anything truly earth shattering in terms of how sturdy it was manufactured. I could seriously see that seat selling in its country of origin as ā€œsmall chairā€ for 8 dollars.

Early versions of the FS12T had problems where the seat pins would break off where they rode inside the rails. (that is, if you were looking to buy a pre-owned kayak). After 3 freshwater trips (fully neglecting rinsing / etc) - small bits of surface rust was starting to form within the hinge / joints of the seat. So - if you do wind up with a kayak with that type of seat, be sure and keep enough silicon / etc to keep the rust away.

Cons: Weight. At around 78 pounds, it is a beast to load / unload / move around on land. It also has a tendency to drift all wonky in the water making you correct your course a lot. I considered a rudder / skeg system - then thought - nah, thatā€™s even more weight added on! Paddling back upstream against a 5mph current was itā€™s nail in the coffin. Also, did I mention weight? Hoisting it atop an SUV sized vehicle posed a few problems for me (at 6ā€™ 200lbs) even with a little help. I had less problems sliding it up the side of my station wagon though, but it was still 78 lbs of material to maneuver around and tie down.

Iā€™d personally rather paddle a 50 pound kayak and carry a 3 pound beach chair (for the beach) - than lug around an 80 pound kayak that came shipped with oneā€¦

I have paddled Tarpons for years and couldnā€™t agree more. Iā€™m definitely into lighter and faster.

"This may be my first dog who enjoys being outdoors " Iā€™m pretty sure your so-called poodle was initially trained as a sight-houndā€¦pure hunter, many years ago! Add that to a Golden and you have got yourself a wonderful hunter. And mainly a great companion. Let her swim and have a great time. The more she enjoys your day, the better youā€™ll enjoy her. Arenā€™t there some small reservoirs in that Hudson valley that have some small parks. Rent before buying.
Enjoy the day!
dennis
Dig these sight-Hounds

A Boykin Spaniel is the right size for a Paddling pooch.

The weight of a fishing type SOT may argue for adding trailer to your life, or a Hulliuvator to shave 45 lbs off the lift. Or a truck to lay it in the flatbed. But it could be a lot of fun in FL as long as the alligators donā€™t find it too tempting. :slight_smile:

On the Goldendoodle, people tend to forget that the standard poodle was originally developed as a hunting dog. Take look at old enough French prints and you will see standards pictured out with riders chasing prey. The traditional clip is functional for getting thru underbrush. It is a working dog, which can make it a lot more of a handful to keep occupied than the smaller versions. Add that to a Golden and you get a dog that may be smarter than the Golden and have different level of need for exercise. Or sometimes you get all Golden in the head with a coat that causes less allergic response.

Size is all over the place. One of the biggest dogs in the neighborhood for a while was a Goldendoodle who caught the full height of a large Standard along with the heavier build of the Golden, and a pure Standard coat. The two I saw at the farmerā€™s market last week came in the size of a lightly built Golden.

My daughter had a labradoodle aptly named Nuke. Great Dane size .

Wow this thread suddenly took off again!
So update! I bought the 12ā€™ Fishing kayak from Tractor Supply. I dosenā€™t have the chair I wanted but lots of room for the dog.
Chloe is small for a golden doodle about 40-45 lbs, I took her on her first ride, she was scared, as she is with everything new, but she did great. Never made it to the roomy bow, sat between my legs, but had fun. So far I have only paddled the wallkill river a 1/2 dozen times, itā€™s a nice 5.25 mile run from county park launch to town park launch.
My kayak is big and heavy but paddling with a much more fit friend in a lightweight sit in, I had no problem keeping up. I did the Paddle Run in the spring, same area of river and my time was comparable with most of the paddlers so I wouldnā€™t say the barge slows me down. I could never get this on the roof of my car by myself, and Iā€™m 6ā€™ tallā€¦but it does fit in back of suburban if I stick it out back window (The river is nearby).

All in all I am happy, got this one because it was 1/2 the price of the ascend I wanted and figured if I upgraded next year my hubby or kids could use this one. Good first kayak for $300.

LOL, this fishing kayak thread sure went to the dogs. :wink: