apostle islands - appropriate boat

This is Open Water
My wife and I kayaked the Apostles last year as part of our trilogy of Georgian Bay, Pictured Rocks and Apostles. A couple of comments:

The islands are all several miles apart. This is Lake Superior - famous for whipping up weather in a hurry. A nice calm, flat day can turn into a windy day with waves quickly. In my opinion, I wouldn’t take anythig shorter than 16’ boat out there.

We day kayaked from the mainland due to the continued windy weather. Going to Sand Island is straightforward but is open water. You are exposed until you can hide behind the lee of the island (where most of the good caves are).

Wear proper protective gear. We wore dry suits the entire time. When we kayaked the caves on shore (west of Sand Point) it was calm and people were leaving the beach in bikinis and t-shirt/shorts. There was a Ranger there trying to turn people back, but what did she know - it was calm and warm. Later, when we were along the shore (with no place to land) the wind and waves picked up.

Make sure the people going understand basic rescue techniques. They could save your life. During our visit last year, a large group of Boyscouts were paddling to one of the islands when the wind came up big. They were all thrown out of the kayaks and could not get back in. I am amazed no one was killed. They were all rescued by power boaters.

My point is - respect the lake. It is beautiful there but a bad decision could be costly.

Oh, and watch the bears. They are everywhere. Use proper bear ettiquette.

Roger

Focus on paddler skill and conditions
Lake Superior is dangerous water, IMO. Doesn’t matter whether it’s in the area of the Apostles or elsewhere.

I looked at the Apostles and passed. These aren’t friendly little islands close to shore and close together, as you can find in Huron’s Georgian Bay, the Maine coast or the San Juans in Washington. The islands are as big as Manhattan and far out there. It’s a place where you have to first worry about your skills and the conditions, and only then worry about the ideal boat.

In fact, I passed on the entire south shoreline of the lake, even though I stopped at lots of put-ins over 3 days. Of course, I was alone and the wind never let up and the waves were endlessly crashing, but I wouldn’t have gone out with a group either. Cold water, cool climate, and very changeable weather. Too much risk.

Hence, like others, I would encourage any paddler or group to first focus on their individual and group skills and the anticipated worst case conditions. Only if that test is passed should you then start thinking about whether paddler X would be better off boat Y or boat Z.

Responses
Livingadventures - we will be going by here, as one of our paddlers is renting from them. And for one of our paddles, we may use their put-in (although I’d prefer to use free ones).

As for strong paddler - I’m assuming this more relates to ability to paddle longer distances/endurance. She has paddled a decent amount with some of the other members of our party, so not a complete unknown. I will be carrying a marine radio (new toy, tips welcome! ICOM - M36, granted I still need to go through the manual).

As for other ‘experienced’ paddlers, this is in reference to their more well rounded ability - distance, rescue skills, and experience on open waters. I wouldn’t rate any of us expert. As for me I’ve started racking up classes as I’d like to get BCU 3 Star this summer.

Granted conditions change, but the goal is to stick to the calm waters. People are wearing at least wetsuits. I’ll have a dry top and pants too.

factors

– Last Updated: Jul-02-10 7:08 AM EST –

good on the group that you are going to use Living Adventures for at least one boat rental (now I think more than ever the Tsunami woman should do the same)

Listen to whatever they say, particularly choices of boat, gear and clothing. Particularly when they are critical and suggest alternatives.

Use their put in. Give them a float plan. That way someone local knows when you'll be back. Well worth a few bucks.

Look, this may raise some hackles, but why isn't your group using them as a guide? Esp. as it seems like this is your first time to the Apostles and you have beginners in the group? A guide would know and address some of the issues raised below. Maybe some of your group is very experienced and has paddled the Apostles before, there's no way to tell from your posts.

Endurance paddler does not equal (necessarily) a rescue-savvy paddler. Suggest everyone practice the day before. Great suggestion to any group, esp. one that has not paddled together before. Most first caliber guides on the Great Lakes insist on this.

during practice have those wearing wetsuits, or wetsuits plus, fully immerse repeatedly and see how they do/feel after a couple hours of rescue practice. If they are not shivering and can speak/move coherently, fine. If not, rethink. Expect to get wet from waves or spray. Plan on getting totally wet.

Not going to wade into the wetsuit/drysuit debate. Lake Superior is friggin' cold, the water will be in the low to mid 40s. People die in this water, including people who don't think they will ever capsize, much less capsize repeatedly.

Drytop is good if you have a roll and never come out of the boat. If you mean by "pants" that you have dry pants that roll into the skirt of the drytop it means, w. good layers beneath, you have the closest approximation to a drysuit.

Know your radio. At minimum, know the one-touch for off/on, squelch, NOAA, Channel 16, Channels 67,68. If you can program for NOAA alerts do so. At least one other person in your group and preferably everyone should know the basics. Charge up the night before. If it uses spare batteries carry some in a drybag.

And yes, read the manual. Don't stow the radio in someone's boat or hatch. Group leader wears it. In a lot of groups two people wear one.

Decide who will be lead and sweep in your group.
The most skilled paddler is generally the sweep - they keep the whole group in front of them and react the swiftest to assist.

The lead is not the fastest paddler, but the most seasoned. In fact the group paddles at the pace of the slowest paddler.

Don't get too separated. Know how to signal w. whistle and paddles (what is meaning of one blast, two blasts, and three, for example, and what the paddle movement equivalents are). Open water squelches the human voice, esp. if wind picks up. Discuss ditch points and where they are. That way if you do get separated...

Read the thread on emergency shelters. Space blankets are cheap & compact. Everyone in your group should have one in their PRD.

Anyone carrying a painter or tow belt? And have used/practiced with it previously? Necessary stuff if someone gets exhausted, seasick, hurt, etc.

Do you all know the signs of hypothermia and how to help a hypothermic person? Are some of you carrying the stuff to do that?

Who is navigating this? Compass & chart experience? Someone w. a GPS? Ideally you want both, redundancy is good.

I realize we have branched way off the topic of a Tsunami 135 but w. each post you raise more issues. Kudos to you for listing yourself as a beginner w. 3 star aspirations. It shows you are very open to learning, as I am, as we all should be. Lake Superior is a hard teacher. Prepare well and enjoy the adventure.

Due to my own paddling plans (Lake Huron) this needs to be my last post here - happy weekend and a glorious Fourth to all!

re: the question about the boat
I’d say a Tsunami 135 is an appropriate boat for nearly any sea kayaking. Fixed flotation. Decent bracing. Moderate sized cockpit. Deck lines. Reasonable Beam.

Whether the paddler is able to handle his/her boat, perform rescues, and keep up, is certainly also a consideration, but I don’t think it’s any more a concern with this paddler than it is for others in much more expensive boats. Judging a paddlers skills by their gear is often misleading. I’ve paddled with people in $4500 custom-ordered british kayaks who couldn’t simply control which direction their bow was pointing.

Navigation
The point on navigation is a good one. Lake Superior gets fog and it comes in quickly - like when you are in the middle of a crossing. Make sure you have GPS and a good compass. Don’t just rely on your electronics.

Launching from Living Adventures will not get you close to the caves. They are on the east shore of the point. There are some shipwrecks on that shore and it is a good protected paddle if wind is coming from the northwest.

should be fine
the paddle to sand island is straightforward and not too far, and the paddle from meyers beach to the mainland caves is also pretty short.

check the weather, and if it looks to be fine go for it. at most you’ll need an hour or two of warning of bad weather on it’s way to find your way back. locals take open canoes and rec kayaks with no skirts on both of these all the time.

a trip to devil’s island, on the other hand, is a different beast.

something to think about
If this paddler has plenty of seat time in the Tsunami and feels comfortable in it, that can be an advantage over being in a completely unfamiliar kayak when the situation hits the fan.

just my .02 cents
I paddle a necky manitou 14. While it is not considered a sea kayak, i have to say on a recent week long solo trip in the 30,000 islands area of Georgian Bay, it’s versatility amazed me.

I am far from experienced, and know this area may not compare to superior, but heres a few observations:

-take a vhf weather radio and know how to use it.

-buy the best possible map you can of the area.

-at the least take a good compass, a gps can be a big help also.

-if in doubt, lean toward the cautious side on open crossings.

-allow extra time for “us” slower folks in our rectouring kayaks

-dress for cold water, its a lot colder down a foot than on the surface.

-have fun ! enjoy the fantastic scenery that only that kayak will allow you to see!

On a side note,

on the way home from my trip i test paddled several 17 foot sea kayaks at an outfiters called White Squall in Parry Sound (awesome folks). I am now trying to decide on which 16 or 17 footer will be my next boat. The longer full on sea kayaks are definitely better suited for more open waters.

cheers

Ian.

zzz is right.
I have paddled to Sand Island a few times and it is straight forward. Talk to the rangers at Little Sand Bay for the latest weather forcast or look on the announcement board for the forcast.

Be forwarned that there are quite a few bears around so be aware of that. I was there in early spring last year and some of the islands were closed for bear removal.

If I were there and only had my Santa Cruz (12ft.x25in.) with me I would do Sand or York islands on a reasonably calm day.

Don’t forget to paddle the ship wrecks. They are very short paddles from the mainland.

My wife who I thought could go swimming in what I consider frigid water could only take about 5 minutes in the lake.

Dittto

– Last Updated: Jul-04-10 7:08 PM EST –

Should be fine.

That area of the Apostles have been done by thousands of inexperienced canoe paddlers ( I have some personal evidence) long before "quality seakayaks" even existed.

Late
Late to the party, but I’m curious how it went.

My opinion - the boat in question is “borderline”. Lots of agreement with some of the advice above, but is it better to put the paddler in the boat they’re familiar with - or better to put them in a boat that’s considered better suited for the possible conditions that’s unfamiliar to them?

Main points being the skill and ability of the paddler and intended routes for the trip. 25-mile days in the outer islands? No. 10-mile days in the inner islands, especially east of Sand? Might be fine.

The crossing from LSB to Sand Island is one that’s often under-rated in terms of risk. The fetch for the prevailing west winds is all the way to Duluth, and it can get dicey out there quickly. Sure, it’s just a three mile crossing but it is Lake Superior… From wind directions that are most common, that crossing is unprotected.

but not this Gael
http://www.fancast.com/blogs/files/2009/06/big-blog-template-gael-greene.jpg

This Gael, however, will give you excellent dining recommendations.

really good points here
Boat length is just one factor in a vacuum.

boat size
A Tsunami would be a perfectly good boat for paddling around Sand Island, but I would feel nervous in something as small as 13.5’. Big waves can kick up . . . even on the sheltered (eastern) side of the island (I know this from experience). I would want at least a 15’ boat for that trip.

addendum
One more thought about your trip: the sea caves on the mainland just south of Sand Island are more impressive and numerous than the caves on the island. Be very cautious in exploring them, though . . . you still have to paddle several miles to get to the mainland caves and they are cut into cliffs, so swimming your boat to shore is not an option should you go over and have trouble with a sea rescue (people with limited rescue skills have died here). Check weather reports beforehand, of course; seas are generally calmer early in the day except when a front is coming through.