Aqua-bound paddle: how the blade is fixed

I did the same - turn the paddle upside and was like it. It was the reason for me to change the blades. Sometimes I swim marathones (68km).

It’s true that there is some chance that you can damage the paddle.

In my experience it’s good to heat the paddle shaft slowly (a little bit several times, not all at once) and also to heat the shaft about 6 inches (15 cm) away from the glued joint to give the shaft some time to soak up the heat. Then apply a little more heat closer to the joint and if you’re lucky the thermo glue loosens up easily. I think there are YouTube videos too. Good luck!

1 Like

This sounds like an interesting project. I’m my experience, the shaft and blade should have a continuous core. I’m not saying it can’t be done, but it might be better to just get a different paddle. I’ve used some cheap plastic oars with blades glued to the shafts and they broke at that joint after a short time. Maybe you’re holding it upside down?

This paddle blade (and shaft) has no any poliurethane core inside. I glued and re-glued some carbon paddles before with core inside blades (Galasport and Werner-clone) with different shafts - it were OK.

The Aqua Bound Sting Ray is an entry level paddle and not very expensive. As noted, the blade is not foam core. If you manage the switch, would you feel comfortable enough that the repair wouldn’t fail on a trip. In which case. You’d need a spare. Have you thought of this as an opportunity to upgrade and keep the Sting Ray as a spare. Or sell it before its of limited value as a tomato stake.

For me AquaBound StingRay Carbon is not the cheap paddle)))

My mistake

1 Like

All the more reason to keep it as a spare.

I understand. All the lore reason to oreserve it, but you never know what you can do until you try it. Crossed fingers for you.

1 Like