Aquaunaut RM/Capella166RM/Tempest170 RM

I still don’t see how
these comments:

--------------------------------------------------

[—“Three watertight compartments instead of two, give more options when loading your kayak and a completely new seat and internal outfitting will ensure the comfort and fit of the kayak is much improved.” is what the text on the website reads.

If I’m not mistaken the cockpit opening on the older models were keyhole on the composites and not on the poly. Looks like on the new poly, the paddler may be able to raise a leg out without raising the butt first. A good thing, I think.

http://www.phseakayaks.com/our-kayaks-capellarm—]

--------------------------------------------------

Make the new capella more tempest like. Valley had three hatches on the avocet for ages before the tempest. You didn;t say that the new capella is more avocet like? Do you have tempest on the brain?..

“If I’m not mistaken the cockpit opening on the older models were keyhole on the composites and not on the poly.”

I think you are mistaken both are keyhole cockpits?

As for whether or not a good design allows you to raise a leg or not. I can raise my legs out of the cockpit just fine on the old design of the capella both RM and composite, but I have short legs.

What about ocean style cockpits, can’t raise your legs or your butt off the seat very well with those. Is this a bad design? No, the round cockpit gives better fit and less surface area for water to get in, but you have to get out both legs at the same time!

Still in transit?
Are the Aquanuat RM and Capella 166 RM still in transit or have people had them out on the water yet?

Keyhole

– Last Updated: Feb-21-04 11:07 AM EST –

You're probably right about the keyhole shape. It's the length of the cockpit opening that really affects my opinion of a kayak. My personal preference is being able to get my leg up and out without raising my butt off the seat. I think it's a safer, more comfortable design for ME.

I have paddled both the (old model) Capella and the Tempests 170 and 165. I found the Tempests much more comfortable.

I realize I'm a relative beginner to this kayak thing but I tend to do endurance stuff on my bike and in my boat. Five to eleven hours at a time are not unusual. Comfort is very important to me.

I don't think it's a bad thing to share my opinion. That's what this message board is for. And no, I am in no way connected to the kayak business.

Capella’s
suppose to be in the shops this week and next. I’m in Oregon so it takes a while to get out here.

I’m excited to see 'em as the rep says they are SWEET.

steve

on the brain…
K.W says>>You didn;t say that the new capella is more avocet like? Do you have tempest on the brain?..

me thinks he does have a bit of T-brain since his most recent experiences have been owning a T-170 then a T-165 and the fact that the name of this thread includes Tempest and NOT Avocet. ya think?

K.W.>I think you are mistaken both are keyhole cockpits?

yep.

K.W.>What about ocean style cockpits, can’t raise your legs or your butt off the seat very well with those. Is this a bad design? No, the round cockpit gives better fit and less surface area for water to get in, but you have to get out both legs at the same time!

No, as in your humble opinion. Since the invention of the bombproof spray skirt and decent thigh braces the need for an ocean cockpit has drastically gone down. Why would anyone desire a PITA configuration that dis-allows a comfortable exit out of the boat in a dicey location (ie: dock, rocky shoreline, etc.). I have both and really don’t like the OC. I have a friend who paddle an Anas Acuta and a Pintail w/ OC and she thinks they’re a PITA. She’s a tiny thing, as well. They look good on a traditional boat, as this is the boat I own with the OC. How many new, modern boats incorperate the OC into the design?

IMHO, they aren’t my cup o’ tea.

steve

Sultan is not Silhouette
I think the Sultan is notably different than a Silhouette. They sure felt different to me paddling each. I felt a lot more confident in the Sultan. It seemed very fast and its secondary stability was fabulous. Sea Kayaker did a review a few issues ago. I think you can see and read the Sultan’s difference.

As far as speed - I don’t race, the Aquanaut is plenty fast for me. And as you noted there are many other factors.

I found the Explorer review in the new SK interesting. They noted the speed as excellent. It is certainly fast enough (though I think an Aqunaut is faster) but touring boats are about touring. The boat’s confidence in challanging sea conditions is where the Explorer and the Valley boats, such as Nordkapp, Aquanaut, etc… excel.