Are beavers dangerous?

Beavers dislike kayaks and kayakers. Be sure to carry a nice sturdy canoe paddle, and practice yer whackin skills so if that happens again you can thump him on the head for being a jerk. If you ever find yourself in hand to hand combat with a beaver, try to stay low to the ground so it cant flip you over. Make swift and hard attacks to the stomach area with your fist. Beavers tire out quickly so even if it has the upper hand don’t give up and allow it to have it’s way with you. If at all possible try to summon the help of a nearby pony. Ponies have sharp hooves that are designed for stomping beavers. After the pony dispatches the beaver be sure to let him sniff the back of your hand, and then give him a tuna fish sandwich to establish a friendship.

I heard that one!
The other one that comes to mind is The Pink Panther, “Does your dog bite” scene.

We have a fish tank with a clown fish and an anemone … Nemo bites when we feed he anemone. The pond down the street has a few of those big beautiful white swans. People stop to take their picture, especially when they’re up on the causeway that runs across the pond. Bad idea: these things are nasty. Saw one chase a lady all the way to her car, then try to bite the car.

So I guess even a beaver can be a dangerous animal … if it bites you.

Very dangerous in a wood boat

– Last Updated: May-13-11 9:35 AM EST –

If you have a wood kayak and especially a wood GP watch out. I've been noticing small bite marks on the end of my GP.

beaver attacks canoe in NC
This happened a few (5? 6?) years ago at Jordan Lake in North Carolina: a beaver attacked a canoe with, I think, a kid in it. This was in the local paper, so perhaps could be verified by you: The News & Observer (Raleigh). I think that beaver was later found to be rabid. (And I hope I’m not conflating 2 different stories.)

I’ve had a beaver give me the evil eye as it swam just ahead of my kayak on a narrow, slow-moving stream. Then it tail-slapped and went under. I left the area. I could take a hint.

Something that gives me pause is the size of adult beavers. I once came upon a lodge with 5 (I think) beavers sleeping on top of it in the sun. Kind of piled up like puppies. They never lifted their heads as I paddled by. But I was stunned by their size. At the time I wrote that they reminded me of hogs – or walruses. They were just freakin’ huge!

And their front teeth – orange, perfect long chisels (maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inch wide?) with about a 25-degree bevel. Wicked!

G in NC

Beaver Fever would be
(giardiasis)

I would not want to tick off a beaver, giardia or not. Its teeth and claws are bigger than mine.

One jumped in a jon boat with my brother
and cousin after they shot it with a .22 rifle. So, yes, they can be dangerous when fighting for their lives.

danger!
Glock!!! Last resort. Best piece of survival gear I keep in my day hatch!

Are beavers dangerous?
If I were attacked by a ferocious, feral (aren’t they all), big, bad, nasty beaver. I would go for the nearest weapon I could find. Firearms are probably illegal in beaver territory so maybe a rock, signal flare, hand grenade or a big stick. Big stick? big stick??? Big stick!!! Yeah!! A big stick. Something like a…a…paddle. Yeah! A PADDLE. Something close to hand.

This subject is treated with the seriousness it deserves at: http://www.kayakforum.com/cgi-bin/Building/index.cgi/page/1/md/read/id/205161/sbj/material-this-is-just-too-funny/

They are if you’re a tree

I shared a boat with a water moccasin
who had dropped out of a tree. Also in the boat was a woman who was deathly afraid of snakes. Also in the boat was a 16 gauge pump shotgun. Also in the boat were three other adults who all grapped for the gun when aforementioned woman grapped aforementioned shotgun and pointed it at aforementioned snake who was now crawling around the floor of the boat trying not to be stepped on and getting annoyed at all the commotion.

I figured the boat was full so I got out.

what i do
is i dress up as a huge raccoon the outfit cost me a lot and its real hard to paddle with it on but i have never been attacked buy a beaver yet

Make your OWN territorial markers!
I suggest concerned campers construct their own scent mounds when in beaver country.

As outlined above, pile up mud into an 18 inch high cone and then spray musk oil from glands near your anus.

It’s a rather pleasant odor. But you’ll never see another beaver again, of ANY kind …

Good luck!

Delphinus

http://www.AquaDynology.com

Sounds like a hole in the floor …
… ending?