Are carbon paddles fragile?

you can break anything
but there’s no way around it, if you’re going for very light, it’s not going to be as durable as heavy and if you abuse stuff it’ll break. The Lendal carbon paddles I’ve seen are durable, but they aren’t light. Check out the signature series Epic paddles.

I have had my Zav bent shaft canoe
paddle break. Some of them are reinforced for specific uses.

In this case using the back face was using the unreinforced face.

They aren’t fragile
until you start bashing them on rocks and trees.

I generally only take my ONNO out when bashing it on rocks is pretty unlikely. Otherwise I go back to my Aquabound Sting Ray with nylon blades and a CF shaft. Light weight and near indestructible.

I also just got a one piece whitewater paddle with aluminum shaft and plastic blades – made for bashing things.

Call the Mfg and see if they’ll work with you. If you can get a repair under $100, chalk it up to experience.

jim

I called Tom . . .
. . . at Eddyline. He said he could replace just one side. The paddle is on its way back. I hope I didn’t learn an expensive lesson.

hard for me to picture
just what you did, but for what it’s worth I’ve had a wind Swift carbon shaft for three years and never given it a second thought, never coddle it, just paddle away, and haven’t had a problem yet. The lightest paddle I have. (Although I can’t stand those new ferrules. Prefer the old “button” style.) Eddyline is pretty good for standing behind their product.

Imagine
swinging a paddle against a small tree on the forward stroke, now start walk towards a tree at 3mph and swing at it, then strap 60lbs on your back and walk towards it and swing at it. Each time the energy level goes up.

WM wasn’t preparing to hit anything but working against the resistance of the water I’m guessing the contact with the branch didn’t register and he simply bulled through it.

I think you’re right. And the paddle
broke where there was a minor discontinuity in the ability of the shaft to bend.

that friend
the guy who broke his Werner paddle (15yrs ago when the shafts were heavier) by paddling straight into a breaking wave was strong but the ferrule was worn. Some folks just break stuff.

Just an update and kudos . . .
. . . for Eddyline and Swift paddles. The paddle was received today. Tom took a look at it and decided to replace it for free. He was nice enough to spend some time discussing what kinds of paddles I need to do the Mississippi. The broken paddle was a Carbon Mid-Swift two piece 215. I will add a Carbon Wind-Swift two piece 220 to not only give me the back-up paddle I need but some paddle options during the long trip.

Careful now
That Windswift may very well end up being your main paddle.

I thought he might
Joe at Aquabound did the same for me - once. Sometimes they break and maybe they shouldn’t - sometimes they break when you whack a tree branch and maybe you shouldn’t.

Good customer service goes a long way and does get noticed. A+ for Eddyline/Swift

~wetzool

Both
my Ikelos and Lendal carbons have been quite strong.

I’m 200# and use them to brace getting in and out, and once I got my foot caught on the combing and had all my weight on the shaft of the Lendel. I use the Lendal to push through the mud and sand.

My uncle did manage to break a carbon Lendal I gave him, but he is like 250 pounds. I suspect that one had a crack in the shaft. I bought it used. He replaced it with anther shaft so all’s good.

I bought the Ikelos from REI and apparently they will replace it if it ever breaks again.

I always carry a spare. Enjoy your big trip!