Are Pelicans as bad as I think they are?

Yes, they are thermoformed but not ABS. They are polyethylene.

2 Likes

But mine are not at all flimsy and do not oil can.

I stand corrected. Bit further search - from the first listing I found on their website (for a Sentinel 100):
" RAM-XTM Premium is a multi-layer polyethylene with an advanced resin in the top layer imparting a glossy finish and providing significantly more rigidity than standard polyethylene."

Few times a year use , seems fine for a inexpensive entry into Kayaking ,
Grandson into CREW with HS ,
I was thinking about getting a Kayak , For his birthday purchased 2 , one for him one for me
Few times use , we had a blast
I purchased 2 more ,
Academy had the Bounty model on sale , plus oars , out the door ( 4 kayaks ) $840 .
We are in Central Fla , Many springs & lakes too explore , Especially Blue Spring State Park , Manatee galore ,
Only issue
I am a old man 70 plus ,
Not young & thin as I once was ,
Getting into the sit in Kayak is OK ,
Getting out , CANT
I roll over like a beached whale getting wet
Grandkids assist making it easier
Attempted too make my own DIY seat ,
I see many use beach chairs or install tracks with their own seats , Attempted a few ideas but found the side walls on the molded plastic weak , Not designed for weight above , Its balanced with person sitting inside not on top , Purchased foldable stadium seat , Sturdy , Had some
stainless metal brackets that I laid across sides , Attached seat too brackets , On land it seems too be ok , but see stress on the sides . the molded seats are plastic , no movement , anything that I have found will not fit , I am using a 4 inch thick foam and it seems too help a little , Just enough height I can get out of kayak lot easier
any ideas is appreciated
I see many responding too the quality of kayaks , Anything boating or water related expect to pay a lot , More experienced have expensive set ups many thousands of dollars ,

Your description of you is a description of me. Because of the same issues, I paddle sit on top kayaks. I still have a hard time getting up from one but it is easy to roll off.

1 Like

Get a sit-on-top. You enter with the boat in knee-deep water; just back up to the side of it and sit down. Getting out, again in knee-deep water, just swing your legs over the side and stand up.

4 Likes

String, do you think my Hurricane Skimmer 128 would be a good boat for him?

Sissy, since I have a Skimmer 140 , of course it would. I can dismount without swimming.

1 Like

Most all Pelican kayaks seem to be made out of thermoformed sheets of RamX (PEX or HMPE material). With the top and bottom bonded together.
HMPE is a very tough material. But fairly soft, and that might be a bit of an issue. It stands a good chance that their cheeper models use thinner sheets. And thinner would be problematicā€¦
That said, rotomolden PE kayaks are hardly better, dependent on how much material is used. Fair to say that between 2 12ā€™ kayaks the heavier one will have a thicker hull. Or a whole bunch of features that weigh it down, so be aware to take that into accountā€¦

1 Like

Junk might as well get a mortar tub.

Yes, they are.

3 Likes

Beat me to it.

However, in the right context they can be fun. Unfortunately people rarely understand or care what that entails.

??? Whut?

Pelicans??..They arenā€™t bad unless some fishermen have been feeding them. Then they hang out , get in the way, and beg for food. You have to give 'em bait to get rid of them. :wink:

3 Likes

I donā€™t think Pelicans can compare to Brown-headed Cowbirds for badness. Absolutely no morals whatsoever. They do MATERNITY tests on them.

2 Likes

The Guy was right.

A Seals Skirts Drape or Drape X will work as it acts as a partial deck cover not relying on the coaming.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: [www.the-river-connection.com]
Store: [www.the-river-connection.us]
Facebook: [fb.me/theriverconnection]
Instagram: Instagram.com/marshall.seddon

Thanks.
Unfortunately a lot of brands and models available in the USA/Canada arnā€™t available in the Netherlands/Europe :frowning: Kajak.nl is my go to reseller as itā€™s fairly close by and has a good selection.
Iā€™m looking upto the 500 $/ā‚¬ mark for a sit inside. Recreational paddling and maybe some magnet fishing. (And you donā€™t realy need to know dutch to navigate their site) That is why iā€™m looking at the Pelican Mustang 120x and Argo 120XP. Thoughts?
btw, getting in and out of the Mustangā€¦ the plastic felt realy weak.

1 Like

Pelican makes a very large number of different kayak models, with a huge range in price, design and features. A quick look at their website appears to show 92 different ones right now.

I donā€™t think itā€™s fair to make any claims that ā€˜ALLā€™ Pelican kayaks are good or bad. It depends on which one a person is trying to use, and what theyā€™re hoping to do with it.

1 Like

Wow, that is amazing. My wife and I have had Pelican Mustang 120 for a few years and really like them. We have been in rough water, lakes, rivers, etc. Guess I am not worthy.

Meh, donā€™t sweat it. Everyone has an opinion. If your boats do everything you need and you enjoy paddling them, thatā€™s what matters. Paddle more and worry less. :slight_smile:

3 Likes