Are Pelicans as bad as I think they are?

I feel like it is the popular/herd mentality to knock the Budweiser’s of the industry—especially because of the target audience that these mass produced pilsners appeal to (not typically of the most refined, discerning tastes, lol).

That said, pilsners are actually one of, if not THE most difficult types of beer to pull off. The amount of refinement & attention to detail from begging to end presents quite the challenge to beer masters.

Being born & raised in St. Louis, I was a loyal AB consumer up until the InBev merger/buyout. After that shakeup, my loyalty was no more. Soon thereafter, STL experienced rapid growth in local craft breweries as loyalties city-wide, likewise dwindled.
Since then it’s been all craft breweries for me, & I’ll drink anything that’s not an IPA—sours are presently my jam.

When I’m hanging out w/ my less … sophisticated/woke beer brethren, I’ll only have a Bud when it’s a last resort.

One Budweiser gives me a headache and it has all my life. AB’s other products, Michelob or Busch, that is not the case until approaching huge quantities consumed (in a former drinking life but would probably occur today too).

Pelican sit-ins seem to always cause a headache (just like Bud) as they seem to join or want to join a paddle event for which they are not designed or safe for the group.

1 Like

I carried 2 14’ kayaks in my PU bed yesterday , like I do every week. I use an extender and strap them firmly. And have for years
After a couple of beers, who can tell the difference?

2 Likes

Not a popular to do thing. Simply wondering how something so lacking in flavor or distinction could be so popular!
However, as a homebrewer I do know the number of variables involved and know that producing billions of gallons of identical beer requires skill!
I have never made a pilsner or scotch ale yet because as you said, there are special differences. The yeast is much more temperature sensitive than your typical ale yeast.

Sounds like you need to learn how to secure a boat. Hoping I never end up behind you

3 Likes

No. I really like pelicans especially the big white ones. They are the best indicator of forage fish nearby. The brown pelicans on the Coast are a little more aggressive.

1 Like

I have 3 Pelican Argo 100s (the 10’ model sold through Academy). I’ve been in expensive boats and in these. You can tell they’re inexpensively made, but I wouldn’t call them “cheap”. They’re tough and I have had no oilcanning issues whatsoever. Durability is not one of their problems. The original poster here called them “heavy”. That certainly is not true. They are really light. You can carry one with one arm easily.

They are great for a day out. That said, they do have their flaws. They’re slow. It feels like they produce a lot of drag. You can make them go, but it takes a lot of energy. Tracking isn’t great. You will see the more expensive kayaks disappear into the distance, certainly.

Overall, I don’t think they’re bad boats. You won’t win a race, but they’re really easy to use and really easy to cartop because of their super light weight.

1 Like

My son bought me a 10’ Pelican new for $169. This was before I got into sea kayaking. I had years of canoeing under my belt already. I thoroughly enjoyed it, was lighter than my fiberglass canoe. I even played in the surf with it. I did add floatation. When I hooked a big Blue Cat it took me for a ride before landing it. I don’t paddle it these days. I like my Kevlar solo and Royalite solo canoes better, and my sea kayaks better too, but have nothing against the less expensive rec kayaks. Took the little pelican down spring runs in FL, and rivers, marsh, and ocean here in SC. There isn’t anything performance about it, but it is a versatile small watercraft which was lots of fun. Sure got our monies wroth out of it.

1 Like

I just bought a Mustang 100X because I wanted something relatively light weight and because it’s virtually impossible to buy kayaks right now due to covid frenzy. I’ve read all the posts and think I’ll be able to use it in a limited way until I can find another. I took it out on the Hudson by Kingston and it was fine. However, right after I got out a huge vessel created large wake. Since it seems that I can’t get a sprayskirt for this model, would pointing into wake be sufficient to prevent swamping the boat?

Hi, welcome to the forum! It’s a font of great info, and I hope you’ll enjoy it.

So, not to be a bummer but the Hudson is still very cold now (upper 40s or so) and it’s dangerous to go out in an open cockpit boat without a sprayskirt and proper immersion clothing. I have a sea kayak with a spray skirt and have had lessons (I’m no expert for sure but let’s say I’m an advanced beginner), and I am not going out until the water warms up quite a bit more, since I don’t have a dry suit.

It’s a smart idea to read about cold water safety, especially for kayaking in a big body of water with waves, currents, tides, and wakes from larger boats, before venturing out. I’d even say you shouldn’t go out on the main body of the Hudson in a recreational boat like that, which is intended for still, calm water, though of course many people do.

Hope you will be at the start of a long fun trip into the hobby.

4 Likes

Yes, point the bow directly into the wake. And learn how to brace.

A good read: National Center for Cold Water Safety

1 Like

As noted, yes, if you can, point into the wake. It is also good to learn how to let the kayak rock underneath you while you keep your upper body vertical. A bit harder to do in a craft that has a high initial stability and doesn’t have good contact with you but it can be done. Remember “Loose Hips Float Ships”.

3 Likes

Pointing into the wave is always the best choice, but it will not guaranty that the boat will not swamp. I pointed into a large wake thrown up by a fast moving tug on the Patapsco River in Baltimore and the breaking wake hit me in the chest washing completely over the boat from bow to stern. Fortunately I always wear a spray skirt, so it was no big deal.

Taking large waves or wakes anywhere other than on the bow or stern risks capsizing if you do not have a good brace and balance.

Pelican describes this kayak as designed for fishing and as others have pointed out it is not really suitable for big open water. It will be fine on protected waters though and will be good for fishing, photography, and general exploring.

Always wear a PFD and dress for immersion. If a spray skirt can be found to fit, it would be a good idea. Skirts on boats with large cockpits will generally not withstand dumping waves, but will usually keep out water from smaller waves and wakes. It only takes a few inches of water sloshing about in a kayak to make the boat dramatically less stable. Do not wear a skirt unless you have learned how to do a wet exit and are practiced and completely comfortable with it.

3 Likes

Another issue with taking short, fat boats into major rivers is the speed factor. You need to be able to both be seen and to be able to rapidly get out of the way of larger commercial vessels and the Hudson has barges and ferries as well as the confused currents and waves that heavy traffic in a wide waterway will create. Recreational style boats tend to be very slow, no matter how fit or energetic the paddler is. There are reasons why they don’t allow golf carts on interstate highways – similar safety issues with taking rec boats in urban industrial waterways.

3 Likes

I recently bought a Pelican 100.
Faster that most of the other 10 ft types I’ve had,Mustang etc.
Of course it runs circles around most sitontops in any type of current.
I am pleased with it.
If you move into the longer yaks you can increase your speed.

I tend to think you don’t have a clue about “most SOT”. SOT cover a large range of boats , many of which you will never catch in a 10’ anything.

7 Likes

I have some nicer boats, a Pungo 120, an Eclipse 17, and a Necky Zoar Sport, but I have to say, I bought a Pelican Trailblazer 10 just to try it out. It was $200 on sale at Dick’s. I was pleasantly surprised. They’re so light, which is nice, but it paddled wonderfully for a 10’ boat. Tracking wasn’t bad. Speed wasn’t even that bad for the length. The seat was very plain but plenty comfortable. I was really surprised at how fun that little boat was. I started out with a crappy Sun Dolphin boat, and this was a much more quality boat at the same price point. After that, I decided people were too hard on the Pelican stuff. Particularly, they seem to put some time and thought into hull design, because if you paddle a cheap little trailblazer you’ll be surprised at the performance for a 10’ kayak. The only thing I’d be concerned about with the Pelican stuff is durability, because it does seem like that thermoformed poly might puncture a little more easily. I wouldn’t take one on rocky areas or rapids.

Local store had a close out on Pelican Fazer 10’ so I brought one home.
I use it a lot. Very comfortable seat. It has a keel and tracks fine. Stable. Very lightweight (cheap) plastic, and easy to put on my car. It’s a gem for a knock around boat. I can go upriver faster than in other stable / beginner type boats. Nothing compares to a sleek 17’ kayak but the Fazer is the best beginner boat I’ve tried at a price such that you don’t mind what conditions bring you.

It is not so much that Pelican kayaks are bad, they really are not, the larger issue is the people who sell them who basically know nothing about them, so a lot of people end up with a boat that really is to small for them or otherwise does not fit their needs. For a recreational sit in or sit on kayak for lakes or flatwater river paddling they are fine. The have no more or less shortcomings that any of the entry level North American made kayaks and Pelican’s quality has improved over the years.
Not to throw stones at other brands, but I am more concerned when I see someone in a SunDolphin sit in on a whitewater river that does not even have combing for a spray shirt much less the structural stability to prevent foot entrapment if pinned. Or a 9 ft SOT loaded with camping gear to where it has 2" above the water. Using them for purposes for which they were not intended is what makes inexpensive boats dangerous, just like expensive ones.
I think it is more about education and as such I think the sale of kayaks and canoes should be left to stores that know what they are selling and can give proper guidance. The worst thing someone who wants to get in to paddling can do is got to WalMart or even Academy or Dicks and buy their first boat without getting some training from an instructor or advice from other paddlers or even just renting a few to try out…

1 Like

If people ask for opinions they shouldn’t expect to like all of them. What ever floats your boat or pelican.

2 Likes