Are SOT's considered toys

“Toy” can be variously defined
If you mean to ask if a SOT kayak is a legitimate recreational item, then the answer is yes.

If the implication of “toy” is that a SOT kayak is somehow less than a serious device, suitable only for the less sophisticated user, then the answer is heck no.

My Pro Angler 14 is my only fishing boat. It’s a toy in that it is used only for recreation. But it is a truly serious bit of kit with sophisticated engineering, marvelously designed features, with many included extras, and is hell for stout.

Cool.
Glad to be wrong about that.

Tsunami Rangers
Not toys.

FletchDog Rules …

Almost
I’ve heard of a few people commuting to work by kayak.

But I doubt many do, in the U.S. Mostly they are toys, regardless whether open-decked or not.

I know
I will not say it as glamorously as some of those above, but the only thing i feel that can be accurately judged by others is if you show us the SOT in question. Then the true feedback can be given, fast/slow, light/heavy, etc. Every boat is a toy to somebody, every boat is the wrong boat to somebody, what matters is can you handle the boat, can it handle what you want, what are the pluses and minuses to the boat. What are other options. AND do you like the boat…

IMO the only reference to toys should be given to the various bells and whistles that can go on a boat, does a WW paddler need a fish finder? Toy. Does a fisherman? Tool.

You can find a SOT to fit
your purpose. YOu just need to state your purpose more clearly. In your original post you mentioned only short and light. In paddling these are relative terms, but you can find a sit on top that is as short and light as almost any other type of boat except for the lightest carbon pack canoes.

But if you are willing to have a boat that weighs more than 30 pounds, you’ll find a sit on top that meets and needs.

As stated above they are not the best for cold water.

I have a 17 foot by 24 inch one for trips. A 14 foot all arounder for shorter trips, fishing, and sea kayak surfing. A 13 foot one for actual surfing , and a nine footer for whitewater.

Just like you can find canoes and row boats for most any use, you will be able to find a sit on top for anything. Sit on tops excell in surf and whitewater where rowing craft and canoes are beyond their limits.

They also have distinct fishing advantages in shallow water and certain rivers.