Are SUP boards vessels?

No audible signalling device?
Have you checked your PFD pocket? After owning an Extrasport PFD for about a year, I stuck my hand in one of the pockets to find something I had placed in there earlier and pulled out an orange storm whistle on a lanyard. For a year that thing had been in there and I had had no idea Extrasport had included it.

Yeah, Iā€™ve seen these things take off
in popularity down here. I have no interest in them,but if people are having fun on them, thatā€™s cool.

Iā€™d imagine that requirments (registration, PFD, etc) are not really promulgated yet, but when they do, it will be state-by-state. In most states, using one at the beach or close to shore wonā€™t be a problem, and theyā€™ll be overlooked, unless people start trying to paddle them in the ICW or something like that.

You assume logic in regulation
The Peoples Republic of Ohio does not consider a windsurfer to be a watercraft (almost verbatim from the code) and therefore does not require registration. However, they do for canoes and kayaks.

inflatable SUP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkNaQJ5Icdg

Native Watercraft
has the Versa Board, which is supposed to be half SOT, half SUP (itā€™s co-branded with Liquid Logic, so they have it, too).

Iā€™m gussingā€¦
ā€¦those guys havenā€™t seen the Cold Water Boot Camp video.

As an occasional poler,ā€¦
ā€¦however you choose to make a ā€œstandā€ on your on-water vessel of pleasure, as long as itā€™s self-propelled (be it pole, single-blade, double-blade, ping-pong paddles, etc.), and you arenā€™t hurting anyone (save for yourself, likely, once-in-awhile), I can see no objection to raise.

In the uni(fied)-cycle of all things, with water, stride on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mm7vHPPdkzI

hello, salty?
:wink:

it will soon be co-opted
by people with long skinny double bladed paddles made of wood and become much more spiritual.

wait till they discover sitting down!
http://www.canoagem-turismonautico.com.pt/wave-ski1.jpg

:wink:

Those inflatablesā€¦
ā€¦what are they?

Way cool video, BTW!

People like to fight and be elitist
That simple. Part of human nature it seems to need to differentiate oneself. Pack together and diss the othersā€¦been goin on since the caves bro.

Some check this thinking with themselves and evolve beyond it. Having multiple interests and some IQ helps. But groups teach new comers their hatred, and dumb new comers needing to ā€œbelongā€ readily adopt it. New sailors learn the anti power boat dogma and vice versa. New telemark skiers feel ā€œspecialā€ over everyone. Sea kayakers traditionalists arenā€™t likely to accept SUPā€™s either.

None of it mattersā€¦ Do what you enjoy and be friendly. For me if it floats itā€™s cool, unless thereā€™s a rude idiot operating itā€¦

I think itā€™s silly to call paddleboards vessels. I wouldnā€™t call a surfboard a vessel either. But I dunno, regulations can be crazy.

Most definitely they are vessels and are defined as such by the USCG.

In 2017 Karl Kruger completed the 750 mile Race to Alaska on a SUP. Other paddlers have completed the MR340 on SUPs.

1 Like

Wow, ok. I did not know that.

If itā€™s in the surf zone being surfed itā€™s a ā€œsurfboardā€ otherwise itā€™s a vessel. If itā€™s not being surfed Iā€™d say it should require a lifejacket but that might interfere with the lifestyle aspect of the sup.
They are allowed on some public beaches where kayaks and boats are prohibited.

1 Like

In Maryland and DC the local authorities have been very strict about ticketing people on SUPs for not having a PFD or whistle. Last I heard it was $125 for each. The USCG considers SUPs as vessels except in swim areas or surfing and most states follow USCG on-water rules even for inland waters.

Most people on SUPs around this area use the compact inflatable PFDs that go around the waist. These are classified as USCG Type V PFDs. To meet the requirements for a Type III PFD, they must be worn around the waist, not just carried. Never wear the inflatable portion with it toward your back unless you want to moon the world as you drown. If you have a Type III PFD available on a SUP, you do not have to wear it, although personally, I always recommend wearing a PFD.

Itā€™s always been a mystery to me that SUP dealers donā€™t tell people about the PFD requirement when they sell a SUP. Youā€™d think theyā€™d want to sell a PFD at the same time. Whenever I see a person on a SUP without a PFD of some sort, I always try to tell them about the requirement. Most just donā€™t know.