Are you an 'elitest'?

If someone already owns it , I would never say that. If someone is shopping and wants advice, in a heartbeat.

3 Likes

My local state legislator wanted to paddle my lake with me. This was a great way to discuss things involving the lake and ecosystems that I thought the Legislature might want to address. No way was I going to point out that the Pelican kayak she had was crap. It was getting her out on the water to meet paddling constituents and that was great.

2 Likes

There is apparently research that seems to show that a few rare humans may have tetrachomatic vistion. I have hyper color vision (all the Ishihara “bubble numbers” are clear as day and night to me and I have stopped bothering to argue with other people that the black shirt they are positive they are wearing is actually navy, brown or maroon) but have no idea what causes that acuity.

2 Likes

Genetic eliteism?

In answer to the original question…….my wife thinks I am!

I regularly paddle the first one or two strokes away from shore or after a rescue with the paddle wrong side up. And, I always say I will check paddle orientation b4 paddling a stroke when starting next time. Yes, a paddle orientation snob. And love my GP so I do not have to worry about the Euro paddle orientation issues.

Greenland paddle. Problem solved. :wink:

While I do think everyone should wear a PFD while paddling, I never think of any kayak as being “inferior”. A lot of people, myself included, just enjoy getting out on the water and exploring and spending time with friends and family. And if my strokes aren’t perfect, oh well. And I am sure even you experts have accidently turned your paddle upside down on occassion. If I see someone with their paddle upside down I just suggest that it might work better the other way. It is okay to make a suggestion to help someone who is obviously having problems, or if it is a safetly issue, but if it is just a perfectionist issue, lighten up and let them enjoy themselves!
I also love big hats! I have had skin cancers, one on my face that required a four hour surgery! So I sometimes wear big hats and even have clamp on umbrelllas for my kayaks. My little fleet of kayaks include three Pelicans, two older Perception Swifties, and (gasp) an Intex Explorer! I love them all and they work great for me. I have no need for a fancy, expensive kayak.
Sound like to me “elitist” = SNOB!

1 Like

Hello ljball83,

Welcome to the forum!

I just wanted to make a comment or three on your penultimate sentence, quoted above.

As an ocean paddler with my own preference for traditional Greenland style boats and paddles, I would like to say something about “fancy/expensive”. With regards to my personal tastes, the “ultimate” boat is represented by a custom fit (according to one’s own body measurements) skin-on-frame boat, and carved wooden paddles. If you’re up to building something yourself, you can disabuse yourself of the notion that a “fancy” boat is necessarily “expensive” as well.

Control over our boats is based not only on specific paddling techniques, but also on how well the boat “fits” us (we don’t just sit in our boat, we wear it). Having a boat built to one’s own body measurements seems more than just “fancy” – it’s perfectly reasonable. Rather desirable, actually. The materials to build your own custom fit skin-on-frame boat can cost $200 or less.

Likewise, paddles should fit our bodies (and boats). My favorite type of paddle, for instance, can be carved from a single 2x4. Of course, the choice of wood matters (specific type of wood, straight, clear grain, etc.), but even a perfect 2x4 of, say, Western Red Cedar might cost you no more than $35-$40 at a specialty lumber yard.

Would you pay $240, and devote the “labor of love” in the build in order to have a beautiful, custom fit boat and paddle ensemble?

Fancy? Indeed! Expensive? Not so much. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not trying to offend anyone, and I do respect those who build their own, ocean kayakers and white water kayakers. I’m just saying that a lot of people just enjoy paddling flat water and spending that time with friends and family. Just because they are not real serious paddlers doesn’t mean that don’t take safety seriously while they are on the water and I really get tired of people that look down their noses at people who are using lower priced kayaks. I don’t know why so many people talk bad about Pelicans. I use them and I know lots of other people who use them and have had great service out of them. To each his own! But don’t call other people’s kayaks inferior. It might not be what you need or want, but it might be perfect for the owner!

I’ve tried to be an elitist. I’ve tried to join several groups of elitists, but they’ve all rejected me.:hot_face:

3 Likes

Paddle on. Many of the elitists I have known have no clue how to self rescue or how to quickly do an assisted rescue. Dressing for the air temp is their standard. You are better paddling alone or with other safe paddlers you find.

Elegies For Elite Are Often Sung By Simple Men

Perhaps you are a maven paddling monster of a boat,
connoisseur kinda sour when watching humankind afloat,
but misanthropic meets up myopic as life’s puddle starts to bloat,
and oft didactic aboard Titantic learn least dinghy saving tote.

1 Like

Kayak elitist… yes. But not against other kayaks. The worst kayak beats the best canoe any time. Well, to be fair, Canoes make great barges to carry a surplus of gear and coolers on a kayak camping trip. lol. I love kayaking in the St Augustine area, especially the Matanzas river. With the complex currents I would only recommend 12’ plus, rudder or skeg is almost a requirement. but a skilled paddler will be able to handle things. Currents change direction at a moments notice, even creating sections of rapids over the Oyster mounds at times. For safety’s sake. Its’ good to get a bit snooty over the selection of kayak to be used. If anyone needs assistance navigating the lifetime of kayak trails in this part of the world. I am an ACA certified Instructor in St. Augustine and life long guide in Northeast, FL.

Posers need not apply… lol. But I’d consider letting them into the club to help them learn to be safe.

I think a 12’ kayak at Matanzas is kind of small. I usually know if one shows up who will need to be watched. I have canoe friends in their solos that could do better than a 12’ kayak that needs a rudder. Don’t put down canoe-ists just cause some common canoes are “barges” there are white water and journey canoes that could play in the surf at Matanzas inlet. Like kayaks the boats and paddlers come in all shapes, skills and sizes. Just keep paddling.

Perhaps we will meet one day. For short trip we do Summer haven river. My favorite though is launch at Rattlesnake island go to Captains restaurant and return.

3 Likes

Wow, so cool! Thanks for responding. My very first post and I’ve meet a new friend. Yes! Let’s adventure some day. I appreciate being pointed out as having put down anyone. A lighthearted jest on the topic of being an elitist is all. Of course there are plenty of awesome canoeists. Hence the ‘lol’ following what was an intentional bad joke of personal preference.

I love how passionate and diverse the tastes our kind have. I don’t recommend for the average paddler, but for me— its a blast dancing in the Matanzas Oyster flats in my classic (sadly no longer produced) 10’ Perception Ultralite Sierra without any maneuvering aide other than my hips. It’s chine is magical. Sits high and Tracks surprisingly well for a craft of it’s size and form. That’s just me. I love a challenge… it’s great for abs and traps!

When I take one of my longer boats (14’, 16’, or 17’) off the channel the tight turns in the drain are a real challenge. What’s that saying? It’s the motion of the ocean, not the size that matters. :bulb: :purple_heart:

12’ is a fine playful choice. You are right, it invites struggle. I agree wholeheartedly longer is better to stay on track with the swiftness in these parts.

Thanks for engaging.

1 Like

It is painful to run into an oyster bed. On our coast, they are sometimes hard to see .

Worse than finger nails on a chalk board. It’s takes commitment to learn the lay.

But also yummy to run into! I’ll guide you next time you are around Genung’s Fish Camp in Crescent Beach.

The next time you declare that “fancy or expensive” canoes are elitist, consider this: The large majority of canoe buyers test drive an outfitter’s or friend’s canoe before buying. Most gravitate to less expensive, more stable hulls. Less expensive means the boat is made of fiberglass, aluminum, or other materials that are much more heavy. More stable means wider at the beam, blunter entry line, flatter cross-sections, and keel-line profiles. These canoes can be mass produced by roto-molding or other methods and manufacturers can achieve economies of scale and higher volume sales. A certain number of paddlers will stick with the sport and evolve to higher skill levels. These folks tend to enjoy the aforementioned hulls less and less. They get to a point where they need lighter weight and fairer boats. Lighter weight implies Kevlar, carbon fiber or other materials which are expensive and hand laid and that increase costs. The designs have narrower beams, sharp entry lines, and rounded or arch hulls. Manufactures know that the demand for these is small, so economies of scale and volume sales suffer, so the price must be higher. At that point in their evolution paddlers are willing to pay more. So, I submit there are no expensive canoes, only a price paddlers are willing to pay to continue the enjoyment of a sport they love. In paddling, value should not measured in money, but rather only in the enjoyment the paddler is achieving in a certain hull.

4 Likes