Assateague X Shadow X Gulfstream

Yes I agree the shadow is shallower
Now when we all learn the difference between a coaming and a cockpit we’ll be a step ahead.

EG: an ocean cockpit skerrey has a much smaller coaming than a keyhole skerrey but the cockpits are almost exactly equal in size.

Yup
I agree that the dimensions given are actually the coaming. However the convention has been (including on both CD and Seaward’s sites)to use the term cockpit.

Even Sea Kayaker uses the term ‘cockpit’ when giving the coaming dimensions. Though SK does refer to “Coaming height forward” and “Coaming height aft”

It is assumed that paddlers know that the cockpit is the entire area/compartment in which the paddler sits.

Shadow
The Seaward Shadow has a larger cockpit than a

Gulfstream.The numbers for a boat do not reflect the

true size . I fit well into an Explorer and could

not get into a Curent Designs boat of the same deminsions.

The Shadow is not very deep ,the explorer seemed deeper with out the seat.I took the seats out of

both.

I have not had the shadow out in large waves and

being use to a round hull , am a little wary of the

hard chine of the shadow.John

Asseteaque Cockpit too small…

– Last Updated: Sep-30-04 12:56 PM EST –

....The "Susquehanna" Cockpit is too small for a really big guy. I am one who tried to get into one. I weigh 270, and am very big boned, with muscular thighs. I could barely squeeze into an "Susquehanna" cockpit.
... Their Serenity fits me fine. Both are nice boats.

...Edited, because I was mistaken whan I said the Asseteaque was too small. I see I have not tried the Asseteaque. It was the smaller Susquehanna that I tried to get into, Sorry.....