Assisted Rescue Stirrup

The very first line of my first post said this was intended for canoes and rec-kayaks. Large open cockpits with limited flotation and the likelihood of swamping beyond bailing once back inside.

I believe that is what was lost in the conversation.

In my case and what I believe should be normal for these boats is without flotation added to some degree and a group of boaters large enough to aid in rescues on calmer waters the boater should stay an easy swimming distance from shore at all times because self rescue and assisted rescue would likely be imposable. Swim to shore drag filled boat along tip and empty in shallow water resume paddling.

My hope like some others is to combine adequate flotation in two paired boats along with conservative paddling in calmer waters where assisted rescues would be possible for both parties. I don’t want to replace any other technique of reentry someone may be skilled at doing just possibly add another.

There is nothing new about using a stirrup in these open boats as mentioned above what may be new is how this couples the two boats with a hook to apply the weight of the one boat and passenger to keep the other boat from rolling. The coupling is only momentary when the stirrup is bearing weight. I kind of prefer that to anything like tying off to the second boat (mentioned above) as if something went wrong and the one climbing the stirrup became tangled once they stopped climbing they could quickly be free of the attachment.

Again I’m not suggesting anyone use this method with conventional kayaks

1 Like

A great device for larger beamier boats like ski boats.
I think with a canoe or kayak the boat is just going to turn over, especially with no one in it.
With two boats, one occupied, you have a chance to make it work.

I never thought this would work as a solo rescue device thus the title (Assisted Rescue Stirrup).

The whole idea is to put the weight of the other boat and the person in it to keep the empty boat from rolling. In our case boats will roll until the hulls come into contact as shown in the third photo in post number 1.

We mostly go out together and stay fairly close together the whole time. I think that is a good general safety tip for all small open paddle boats. When I go alone say fishing I’m a lot more careful how far from shore I venture. In most cases that’s where I want to fish anyway. I may add additional side flotation and if I do that should be able to right the canoe with taking on hardly any water. In the case of her rec-kayak and the added flotation I have added with a good PFD it is easy to flip over and there is hardly any water in it. even if you have to swim both boats in it isn’t too bad if they are not swamped full. Trying to enter them in deep water is where most of the swamping happens.

Thus the reason I’m looking for an assisted way to get back in for people not super fit that can do it without bringing in a lot of water with them.

This device is fairly useless with just one boat. :canoe: