AT vs. Werner paddles

GP pros and cons
Cons… no good in bony streams and most whitewater situations.

Pros… everything mentioned by Kudzu in the previous post…

PLUS… less stress on your joints.

A very natural (hate to sound hokey) but almost zen like feel in the water.

Much easier to do either a sculling draw or a sculling brace IMHO.

The wood version is warmer in the cold months. At least it feels that way to me.

As for paddling in the wind, they have what is termed a storm paddle configuration, which basically eliminates the loom and makes a shorter paddle. I’ve paddled with my normal GP in 30 knot, gusting to 40 knot winds and never felt like I needed a shorter paddle. As Kudzu said, wind seems to be a non factor. I doubt I will ever paddle in winds stronger than 30 knots!

CAVEAT… the first time user ALWAYS says it feels like the paddle is fluttering as you draw it through the water. That goes away with an hour or two of paddling. Now, if I use a euro (usually because someone wants to try my GP!) the euro feels like it is fluttering!

Me too!
I have two bent shaft 220 cm AT Xceptions sitting in my garage. Haven’t used either one since converting to the skinny stick almost over a dozen years ago. But, if I were to use a Euro blade it would be an unfeathered AT Xception or current version…

Have I Thanked You Lately
for introducing me to the GP?

Thank you.

One more vote for greenland paddles
I made the switch to greenland paddles almost immediately after I started paddling kayaks a few years ago. I do have a beater euro for those times when I find myself in a boney stream. Other than that it is 100% greenland for me. For all the reasons listed. I have a Lumpy and I love it. I don’t see myself ever going back to a euro blade.

Kudzu
Thank you and Bill Bremer and Dawn Stewart and the Inuits…!