Attaching your loaded bag to your canoe

thanks for your reply , I just finish a training session on the lower Colorado river (400KM ) and I tested few method by now . to my use it seems like the tied down will work best especially since I am a novice paddler at this stage and even so I am not planning to do very technical river. My future travel will take me to very large and isolated rivers so even if I cannot upright my canoe or get back into it the option to use it as an upside down raft is still good. I have an Ally 16 ft so when you get back in t you have to be fairly careful .
Thanks again

Hello H11, If you are new, but you might like to see the best and do the best there is, and after 120 or 150 miles, you will not be new any longer. I have two very strong recommendations.

In Utah, the Green River, beginning at Green River, Utah (Do NOT miss going to Rayā€™s Tavern for a burger and apple pie, a river tradition.) Begin there and paddle the 120 miles down to the Confluence of the Colorado River, the Labyrinth and Stillwater Canyons. There are two or three baby riffles just south of Green River, and not a ripple after that for 115 miles. Take 10 days, hike a bit up to the ridge, the ancient Native American ruins, walk the desert, camp, sleep, enjoy the stars and the quietude. Donā€™t go fast. ALWAYS and only, paddle in the morning, the winds and the sun can be brutal in the afternoon. Be in camp with your feet up.

Or,
In Montana, on the Missouri River, begin in Fort Benton, 40 miles on, 2 or 3 days, you enter the Upper Missouri River Breaks National Monument, 150 miles to the Fred Robison Bridge and the State Park. Again three or four Class I riffles or less. Canoe camp, hike, read a paperback, watch a sunset, always travel only in the first half of the day.

In both cases, arrange for pickup at the Confluence by jetboat out of Moab, ABSOLUTELY DO NOT turn right and head down the Colorado, strictly expert only. The jet boat ride is fun. In Montana, arrange for someone to pick you up at the Fred Robson Bridge or drop off your truck there.

Do both of those this summer? You will be classed an expert paddler by September.

Personally, I think a 16 foot boat too small, so keep your gear choices light , ideally, nothing loaded above the seat height (10") and definitely nothing loaded above the gunwales. Ever.

Take pictures, collect memories, carry out all human waste, ash from the fire, burn no plastic. Always plan a few extra days, neither of those rivers should hurried. If you get there quick, take the extra day or two to read a book or three, hike, eat bad food, relax, however, more likely, you will laze and hike , and explore, the weather will slow you, something, and you will have to bust butt on the last day and cover 45 miles. In either case, early, or late, you did it perfectly.

This sounds like a wonderful idea and since I am starting my new job in September in Sacramento I do have plenty of time , so far I mostly paddle using a kayak paddle due to my inexperience and desire to do very long distance ( I was supposed to go away for a 1400 miles next month but borders are closed in brazil so I have to wait a bit more) but on a moving river I will start to learn single blade paddle with a bit more fun . those recommendation could give me the extra training and technics that I may need , I will try to find more info on the river in Utah as it is the closest to Vegas where I now reside and see if I can find a friend with a canoe or kayak to share the adventure . Thanks again
Hendi

I can also recommend the Green and the Upper Missouri Rivers. Do not forget the journals of John Wesley Powell, and Lewis&Clark.

I have been thinking about the Yelllowstone River below Paradise, MT or maybe Roosevelt Lake, WA.

H11, For what its worth, Iā€™d also recommend the Green River, though Iā€™m a long way from there and have only done Labyrinth Canyon and only once at that. Iā€™m sure ppine and paddler236278 have more experience with it. Iā€™ve never done the Missouri Breaks, though I know quite a few who have and their stories always seem to involve wind.
In any event, If youā€™re thinking of the Green and doing research, you probably want to get a copy of Belknapā€™s Canyonlands River Guide. Its a dandy little guide to hikes and things you might otherwise miss. I donā€™t know if youā€™re aware of it, but thereā€™s a poster here, Raftergirl, who has a post up about her trip on Meander Canyon, which is the stretch (about 50 miles, I believe) of the Colorado just upstream of the junction with the Green at Spanish Bottoms. The one you might see by jet boat at the end of Stillwater Canyon.

If you plan to do it this summer, you might want to talk to an outfitter pretty soon. Permits are required and there arenā€™t a lot of private ones issued, especially on short notice. So going through an outfitter in Moab who can provide use of their commercial permits is almost a requirement to get on the river. They are well equiped to handle the shuttles which can be a bit tricky. (Iā€™m thinking the road to Mineral Bottom - google it for grinsā€¦) Paddlers are required to carry a groover, and fire pan. Leave no trace, of course.
Most folks seem to use Texā€™s Riverways for the lower sections of the Green and Meander Canyon. There are others that run rafts and such in Desolation, Westwater, etc. but Texā€™s seems to be the folks to talk to for the lower Green. But check around, maybe thereā€™s someone else out there ā€¦
Hope this helps a bitā€¦