Attention - Caution Newbs

It would help if…
you gave the replies some credit. Your statement is very broad, as others have pointed out a similarly broad answer is not always the right one.

I believe you have made it clear that you personally feel any recommendation for a boat over 12 ft long is inappropriate.

Symptom of modern society
People are not that attunded to others these days. We live in a narcissistic society. We’ve lost the skill of listening to people and tuning into their needs as opposed to our own. It’s like everyone is competing for attention. That must mean that modern social conditions don’t provide people with the attention and fulfillment they need. It wasn’t always like this. This started sometime around the 1980s. People used to be more interested in others.

In any helping role, the first step is to listen to the other person’s experience and expressed needs. Hear exactly what the person is asking for. Put yourself in the person’s place. That too is a lost skill these days—empathy, the ability to see things from another person’s perspective.

???

– Last Updated: Oct-08-12 11:47 AM EST –

My first boat was 17ft and I don't regret it one bit. You seem to think the newbie is an expert on the length and only needs help choosing the color.

10 out of 10
Another caution for newbs: Most thread titles are extremely uninformative.

how?
“People used to be more interested in others.”

hmmm, somehow I see it differently.

I see a lot of “interest” in others or Facebook would not exist?

Or maybe I am confusing “interest” with stalking :slight_smile: