Axe or Saw? Neither?

Overstreet, I have a hydraulic cylinder top link on my three point hitch, which makes it easy to raise or lower a rear implement simply by nudging a lever. When I’m not using my rear implements – brush hog, finish mower, back blade – I lift them while driving. The brush hog cocks up quite far.

In that picture, I was showing off the “weapons” I had at my disposal the first (and only) time I saw a bear quite near me. I wrote a rhetorical piece about the bear episode and my edged tools HERE.

The Agawa 21" folding saw is so slick. You can have a solid smooth cutting blade that is held tightly in place. No wobbling or bending blade. You can cut smaller or larger pieces with no problems. I have a Silky Gomboy too, but of all the different saws I have tried over the years this Agawa saw is absolutely the best. It folds down easily and safely stows in my pack. This saw does 90% of the wood procurement needs as it can cut standing dead trees up to 6" thick easily. Or fallen dead wood.
Anybody can use it and no special skill required.

Am sure this is what you’re talking about, but the military did have several types of bolos produced over the years.

Pictured is mine that I bought cheap and restored.
BOB
![WW I era bolo|690x388](upload://pN0OkXEmPnLypWQzCR0BxTZU9py.jpeg

It is the WW2 Marine bolo.

Mine is marked PLUMB
St Louis
I don’t think it was stored until 1941and reissued?

Some bolos were made for WWI; some for WWII, and there were a variety of styles.

Up until his passing, an uncle who served in the Phillipines during WW2 had in his possession a bolo he carried. I believe he served with the 25th Infantry Division “Tropic Lightning”. I think one of his sons now has his bolo.

My Dad was a SeaBee. The only thing he ever said was he was a landing craft driver. And he wasn’t impressed with hand grenades.

In the book “The Survival of the Bark Canoe” by John McPhee. A crooked knife was used extensively to build traditional birch bark canoes without the use of nails, screws or rivets. Just a crooked knife and natural materials.

Right. I read it, an excellent book. (How could a book by McPhee about canoes not be?)
It just struck me as odd that in the video someone just happens to have a couple crooked knives in their pack in case they break a paddle. I’ve known a good many very experienced and skilled paddlers, backwoods savvy, who might not know what a crooked knife is and I know nobody who carries one. Struck me as, well, staged.

2 Likes

I think maybe we need to start carrying one and learn how to use it. It is a lost art!

Agreed. And maybe a wood rasp, too. (And even carrying such tools on a trip would requite some special care, maybe something like a leather wrench roll: You wouldn’t want to just toss it in your #3 Duluth with the tent and cookware.) It hurts to just think about having to fashion a paddle with a hatchet or axe and then paddle for a couple days out of back country with a rough-hewed paddle shaft. Makes one a tad paranoid about caring for your paddle, no?
I’ve thought, admittedly briefly, about making a crooked knife and realized that doing so without screwing up the temper of the steel and, further, keeping an edge on one is a specialized skill that I lack. Thought maybe someone here might have some experience to share in that area…
There’s probably a “Forged in Fire” episode in here somewhere…

1 Like

buy a hoof knife…for trimming horses feet. Any equine supply should carry them . It will give you all the practice you will want.

1 Like

It might also be just the sort of incentive that could lead one to take up the lost art of poling. Bet a lot of us haven’t practiced that lost art either…

1 Like

There are a number of them available, here are a few links:

http://www.birchbarkcanoe.net/crooked-knife.htm

I went to school for fine arts and have done a lot of wood carving from tree trunk and limb. I think with an Axe, draw knife and a crooked knife you can make a fine paddle. I like the idea of a custom leather roll for the blades.

A crooked knife is not deadly enough for a Forged in Fire episode.

Very nice! Thank you.