Backcountry emergency insurance/medivac

Yes Schedules are bad.

We were checking back in at Hattie Cove after paddling from there to Agawa Bay and there was a party of three getting on board a shuttle boat that would take them to the North Swallow River. One was a hiker and two were in a canoe… Their plan was to camp together each night.So there was a schedule… This proved to be fatal…
The White River outflow can be huge and when west winds pick up the waves are high and the currents add to the danger. The campsites accessible by hiking trail are all upstream on the White.
The canoeists tried to enter the river. flipped and died of hypothermia . They were able to activate their GPS before passing but rescue could not arrive quickly enough.

Had they not had a schedule, things may have been different.

That is an extremely sad real life example.

You have an ambitious plan. On the water, if you have a problem help is likely to be too late. Alarm bells are going off when you mention a solo trip. No help is a serious liability on Gitcheegoomie.
I have needed air extraction once in my life after a busted femur in a mule wreck. Insurance is worth considering. My fixed wing plane ride cost $15k 20 years ago. Insurance only paid $5k.

Be all means get some insurance.

In preparation for my trip I read 8 or so books written by people who had either done the circumnavigation or paddled through all the GLs plus a lot of essays about kayaking experiences on Superior.

In every case, when people had barely made it off the water (or in one case didn’t) at the end of the day, had taken hard landings or capsized and struggled, they knew they shouldn’t have been out but had to keep to a schedule. Either they were fundraising and had to meet media in the next town, were on vacation with a limited amount of time or on break from school. The guy who drowned at Pigeon Point had admitted during an interview with Paddling Mag prior that he wasn’t good at waiting out weather. Tried to go around Pigeon Point in rough water and 20 - 25 kn winds. Same scenario as your tail @kayamedic - EPIRB went off and the CG found him floating 3 hours later. Hypothermia related drowning.

I made myself an unbreakable promise that I was doing this trip in the time it took and not putting pressure on myself to keep to a schedule. The only iron clad thing is my cut off date. I really think I need to be off the water by the first week in September.

I’ve built in one day off for every three on water. Think that’s enough? The overall weather pattern this winter/spring has been pretty knarly. I can’t believe all the Low pressure systems that have been hammering the Lake.

3 Likes

I do know about the orientation talk. I get it, they have to try to keep people safe. Besides I always seek out local knowledge. I’d planned on stopping at Hattie Cove (maybe score a last minute campsite there) and talk with the Officials. I play by the rules as much as possible. That’s why stealth camping kinda doesn’t sit well with me.

I had booked a Sibley trip with NSA that had to be canceled when Canada closed the borders during Covid. Dave and the crew were absolutely fabulous dealing with that. I’m planning to stay there when I get to their place, maybe post off a resupply box.

The Slates aren’t on my itinerary this time, but I’m hoping to book Dave’s trip out there for 2024. I’m so in love with Lake Superior! I first paddled her at the last “Ladies of the Lake” symposium in 2018 I think it was. Have attended two Great Lakes Sea Kayaking Symposiums out of Grand Marais, MI and done a week long kayak camper with Michael Gray (Uncommon Adventures) around the Keneewa Peninsula. Definitely get good food on Michael’s trips!

Zack and I have been emailing a bit and we’re due to talk here shortly so I can bombard him with questions. I’m planning a stop at Rossport to stay at a B&B he’s associated with. Zack still has a company “Such A Nice Day” that does trips.

I have the old Richardson’s chart book, Bonnie Dahl’s “Cruising Lake Superior” as well as the LSPP and Pukaskwa maps from Chrismar that you mentioned. I’m also a member of the Great Lakes Cruising Club - their harbor reports have been a huge help in gauging resources. Bonnie Dahl’s book, while also dated, is great as well for finding hurricane holes and tuck ins around the entire Lake. Sailors and kayakers have a lot in common really.

1 Like

@wolf Turns out Medicare doesn’t cover me outside the US and Medigap may pay only 80% of medical costs. Another big gap in my planning! When I started planning 3 years ago I had private insurance that would cover all sorts of things.

Another discussion site brought up DAN (Divers Action Network) as a possibility as well. I have to wait and call on Monday to see what their medical coverage, SAR and transport looks like. Looks like comprehensive coverage is going to be in the $500+ range but compared to the bill stories I’ve heard it’s worth it.

@ppine I appreciate the concern. I know the solo thing gives people heartburn but I’ve almost always traveled solo, mostly because the people I know all have schedules to keep and I have the luxury of setting my own. I’m a very conservative kayaker with a very keen sense of what my limits are. The Lake has opinions and She is always right. I’ve got no ego caught up in this, nothing to prove. If it starts feeling like I’m in over my head, I’ve got bailout points set up all around the Lake.

$15K for transport, yikes. The exact issue I worry about. It chaps my a** that you pay a fortune in insurance premiums and there will be some reason why it’s not fully covered. Sigh.

3 Likes

People travel internationally all the time. Our Priority Health medicare says “Our plans have built-in unlimited worldwide emergency and urgent care coverage, too, so you can travel close to home, or around the world, worry free.” I think the key here is emergency vs something else.

Having to commit to a specific Lake Superior campsite on a specific date more than a few days out is absurd. As @kayamedic says, call them.

Sounds like that might be an Advantage plan? The Medicare manual clearly says out of country expenses are not covered except for 3 specific reasons, all to do with medical care being closer across the border.

My Medigap plan (which is in lieu of Advantage Plans) pays for out of country emergency care with the same coverage as my Medicare with a 20% deductible. Of course the ubiquitous “reasonable charges” clause is in there as well.

I’m feeling a little more comfortable with that but it probably won’t pay for the expensive medical assisted ride home should that be necessary. Nor does it cover the SAR aspect. Just downloaded all the documents to read through.

And thanks for the campsite reservation affirmation. I’ve been stressed about it thinking I just didn’t get it. I contemplated making a best guess and then booking three nights thinking that would give me some breathing room but the cost is hard to swallow. I’d be taking campsites from other people too which isn’t nice. There’s just too many variables in play. Glad I bought that silpoly camo tarp on sale! Hopefully a call to Pukaskwa will help.

Just curious Where are you starting and are you going clockwise or counterclockwise?

Are you doing a website ?

@roym I’m starting in Brimley, MI just off Whitefish Bay and going sunwise (clockwise). There’s a nice little hotel just a few hundred yards off an access creek and the proprietor is letting me store my Blazer there.

Have you paddled Superior? Any thoughts or advance about campsites or not to miss cool spots?

I do have a website: ChickAndAStick.com. It’s a little sparse right now as I’m a techno-nudge who is just learning how to use Bluehost. I’m also self-filming the adventure in hopes of pulling together a short film to encourage people to go do stuff. Ordinary people can have extraordinary adventures!

2 Likes

If you haven’t already, check out Tim Gallaway’s YouTube channel ‘Kayak To The Sea’

Tim did the Michigan coast of Superior and a bit more in '21 and has produced a set of videos. He also has contact info there & is worth connectin with.

@rival51 watched his Pictured rocks episode just now. Tons of information and visuals for my trip.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

2 Likes