Baidarka video w/ Greg Barton

Pretty Funny…
I was looking through the first link quickly. I was thinking to myself, “Hmmm… some of this stuff looks very familiar…” Then it dawns on me it’s Tom Yost’s work. LOL! Yes, I have seen it before. These are some of his earlier stuff, aside from his current website.

sing

Excellent. Thanks! NM

Wooden Boat - August 1998
Found it. The man who was the building instructor was Bruce Lemmon. The two who built it under Lemmon’s instruction then raced it were Dan Boyne and John Moore. It was the Blackburn and they edged out Ken Fink and partner who were in a Kevlar Necky. It was a rough day according to the article and the Baidarka’s design is what they give credit to in the article for being a key reason for victory. For Baidarka fans this issue has two articles. One on the building of it and another on the race.

Like you said…
… “market is smaller than small”.

longer water line too 9 mph!!!
as a total baby in terms of the advantages of these designs, fellow sof and gp folks have been saying to me another advantage of the double bow is to increase the waterline length and the tracking while the top bow helps in waves reducing plowing, pearling, and help in following seas.

Are you all out there amazed by the 9mph or k or whatever Barton reaches in this boat! What do you all think of that, I am blown away. 90% of the speed of his all out racing boat! smokiing fast, oh my god.

Evan

physical size
I recall reading somewheres that diggings have shown that Aleutian Males had very high upper body / shoulder strength and there was a mention that Greg Barton was similiar in strength to the ancient Aleutian male.

dunno. just know that I am watching his stroke a lot and trying to emulate it.

Paul

Well ye, but I also suspect…
… Greg could get a Pungo to 7-8mph without too much trouble. I have watched him beat surf skis in one of his Epic 18s last Feb - holding an average of over 7.5 mph over a 6 mile course.

Back to the hardshell bairadka question
Take a really close look at Mr. Bushnell’s Thunderbolt Design (and it’s siblings). To my eye - that’s basically what you’ve got - minus the transom stern which has been replaced with a rudder.

Many of the “newer” kayak designs with the fuller bows to both cut and lift also take advantage of similar lines and thinking - as do surf ski hulls - except of course the lack of flex.

Outstanding project and film!!!Thanks!!!
Mick

It sure looked to me like the SOF
was shorter and wider. I think it was mentioned that the SOF was indeed wider. The jury is still out whether you could build a soft shelled kayak that could make up that 10%. It’s still amazing that the original kayakers had to build a kayak to do everything needed to survive and yet still today it performs so well in a single venue with today’s kayaks.

Another video - construction
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7304753602755380957&q=kayak

Not really a “how to” - but still fun to watch.

The Other Video Sent Me
along with baidarka show, by the person I mentioned above, was a construction of a native NW SOF canoe, utilizing the resources of the land. Way, way cool…

sing