BCU intensive sessions

Inclusive paddling
The BCU is very big on “inclusive paddling.”

There are some for whom a roll is not physically possible. The BCU recognizes that there are many self rescue techniques. I would guess that the discretion of the assesor is essential as regards this particular skill.

brevity is not always…
the soul of wit.

Yeah, that comment does sound arrogant; it was a brief comment that is based on a reality.

The whole concept is that, the BCU does not really care where you get your education, the star system is more like going to a car mechanic or your doctor for a check-up. That is, how am I doing? What did I miss?

There are many ways to approach preperation for a BCU 2-4. It is not meant to enforce a formal lesson program; club outings, personal experimention using books/videos, friends helping friends… it is all valid. The assessments are really just to encourage education in a comprehensive manner. The reality for many is, that left on their own people will practice only what they are good at, and neglect what does not come easily. Plus, many will skip over what could be important.

I have taught for 10 years, and oh, the stories I have about people who show up for what is an “intermediate” level class, and are woefully unprepared. The usual reponse is that they figured they were ready because they had been paddling for ____ number of years.

Yeah, the reason I do offer 2*/3* “training” is that it becomes a pre-test test. It demonstrates to students what classes, networking, practice, or whatever they should pursue.

karl

Inclusive vs. Adaptive
Nice to include everyone - and I suspected that might be part of the reasoning - but not everyone needs to be granted a 4 star or above to enjoy the water, do they? Those with physical limitations should be considered, and offered instruction of course (again, solely at instructor discretion), but should their abilities alter the baseline for the general rating system?

I just find it hard to imaging that someone who’s physical limitations prevents a roll would not also have trouble with other rescue techniques, doing decent braces(surely that’s required!), or even paddling any distance in wind/wave. These things use the same movements.

Being self rated as intermediate at best in a few areas, and beginner in many others, but being able to roll both sides - I am a bit biased I suppose. Even more so being stout, less than flexible, with history of lower back trouble, and self taught. If I can, surely someone assessing for 4 star should be able to. Not everyone needs to, but optional for a 4 star candidate?

Once a (basic functional - not advanced Greenland repertoire) roll is learned, it is no harder than a brace and requires much less physical effort and contortion than other self and assisted rescues that require climbing onto the deck, twisting into the cockpit, more time in the water, pumping out in conditions, etc.

I do not think granting 4 star sea kayak rating to non-rollers is doing anyone a favor, but I probably just misunderstand what 4 star represents. Maybe I want it to actually mean something beyond what it does so it holds more interest for me. I would like to think if I meet a 4 star I might have some idea about their basic competencies, but if I can’t even assume they can roll (though I’m sure most do) I begin to wonder what else else may be flexible in the name in inclusiveness (of candidates, instructors, venues, etc.).

Being “inclusive” certainly does allow for a wider customer base than being exclusive, but aren’t all performance based rating systems a bit exclusive by design? Isn’t that the point, to reach a new level? To serve as a benchmark of well rounded abilities? If it’s inclusive to the point where the rules are changed for some the rating gets watered down, no?

I’m sure it is the way it is for many reasons. I just find this one element curious - nothing more.

I do like the image of BCU just being a bunch of skilled and helpful people sharing skills and helping others develop, but being a rating system and requiring paid instruction and assessments there has to be a line. I simply question how clear that line is, not whether the training itself has value.

Now that was clear!
Gives an image of the assessment path I find appealing.

Too true about focusing on strengths and sticking to what we know and are OK at, and maybe not even knowing what our weaknesses are. Many (most) days on the water I’ve opted for the “just paddle” option instead of pursuing something a little more challenging.

Regarding weaknesses I think I have a pretty good idea of what I don’t know, and how far what I do know would reasonably take me in relative safety (though a second opinion is usually wise!). That’s simply because I’m interested in expanding my skills/knowledge and not just doing the same thing. Maybe someday I’ll hit a level I’m OK staying at, or my interest/physical ability may wane, but it should take quite a while. Until then, much to learn!

At some point some training and assessment may fit into this. Move me to colder waters and it would accelerate things. S FL allows just about any pace.

much to learn
you are not the only one with much to learn! I have the honor and privelege of working alongside world renowned coaches, and often what impresses me is their humbleness, and their excitement in learning new teaching tricks from others.

You know, the old thing about the more I learn, the more I find out how much I still don’t know.

Not uncommon that it is the instructor new to instructing that, due to overzealousness, gives proffesional instruction a sour feeling.

Another thing often overlooked is what the student brings to the table. An important study in regards to learning physical skills came up with the idea that most action patterns are fully learned by age 4. After that, physical skills are how we integrate and modify those basic patterns into our desired sport. What does that mean? Well, commonly heard is the story about someone who can’t seem to learn something, such as roll, then meets that “magic” instructor that makes it happen. While likely that it is the depth of the instructors knowledge, there is also the idea that all that went before was necessary for that persons learning pathway.

Sort of a learning version of “why is it that when I am looking for something, I always find it in the last place I look”.

It also explains, along with motivation, why some can do so well teaching themselves.

karl