Bears

The little Bell theory…

– Last Updated: Feb-11-04 4:16 PM EST –

I saw a doc where a little bell was put on a bush and attached to a string so it could be rung from a distance..The ringing bell (a small bell) attracted a bear who was courious about the noise...I have seen grizzlies climb trees on two occasions and yes they were sub adults but not cubs..

From National Park Service

– Last Updated: Feb-12-04 6:06 AM EST –

What do I do if I See a Black Bear?
Bears in the park are wild and their behavior is sometimes unpredictable. Although extremely rare, attacks on humans have occurred, inflicting serious injuries and death. Treat bear encounters with extreme caution and follow these guidelines:

If you see a bear remain watchful. Do not approach it. If your presence causes the bear to change its behavior (stops feeding, changes its travel direction, watches you, etc.)—you’re too close. Being too close may promote aggressive behavior from the bear such as running toward you, making loud noises, or swatting the ground. The bear is demanding more space. Don’t run, but slowly back away, watching the bear. Try to increase the distance between you and the bear. The bear will probably do the same.

If a bear persistently follows or approaches you, without vocalizing, or paw swatting, try changing your direction. If the bear continues to follow you, stand your ground. If the bear gets closer, talk loudly or shout at it. Act aggressively and try to intimidate the bear. Act together as a group if you have companions. Make yourselves look as large as possible (for example, move to higher ground). Throw non-food objects such as rocks at the bear. Use a deterrent such as a stout stick. Don’t run and don't turn away from the bear. Don't leave food for the bear; this encourages further problems.

Most injuries from black bear attacks are minor and result from a bear attempting to get at people's food. If the bear's behavior indicates that it is after your food and you're physically attacked, separate yourself from the food and slowly back away.

If the bear shows no interest in your food and you're physically attacked, fight back aggressively with any available object--the bear may consider you as prey! Help protect others, report all bear incidents to a park ranger immediately. Above all, keep your distance from bears!

There was a resident black bear
living in MacGregor Point Provincial Park when I went there a couple of years ago. The park staff gave me strict guidelines not to leave anything that had an odour, in my tent such as toothpaste,etc. This bear came very far south-they are not usually sited that far south. I left my kayak on my wheels overnight and I being the light sleeper that I am lay awake listening to the night sounds in the forest. All of a sudden I saw the shadow of a large (probably) coyote run past my tent! Freaked me out but I think the animal was more freaked out about my big YELLOW banana sitting on the ground! I didn’t run into the bear anyway. That is a really great campground BTW! Lots of trees and the bike trail is awesome! Lots of tree roots to ride over and little dips and cool lighting on the forest floor! I think I’m talking myself into going back there!

Bears love Redheads,very tasty
Just kidding ! Go to http://www.griztrax.net/bearsafe.html and read the whole thing including the links. Never leave anything in or anywhere near camp that will attract bears. The bears sense of smell is acute and they can smell food miles away…

Good Link, N.T.
The discussion on the bear’s extraordinary sense os smell reminds me of a theory I’ve read regarding your diet in bear country. It is that a vegetarian diet would tend to make you more vulnerable to the rare, predatory attack. I, myself, tend to stray away from things like bacon when in bear country so as to reduce the odors of food. But this theory runs counter to that way of thinking. When you eat meat, you smell like another predator, when you eat only veggies, you smell like a prey species. Trouble is, kind of hard to “Test” this theory without volunteers, and last I heard there were few vegans or meat eaters willing to volunteer for this research (LOL)! WW

toothpaste
Leave the toothpaste home and bring baking soda.

Doesn’t taste as good, but you won’t have those spitting out the toothpaste spots near camp.

More bear stuff
I thought perhaps you might have know some folks out side of Whitefish MT, that do some work with Karlian Bear Dogs, (cool dogs).

Any way, I think that I should have added that, in my opionion when throwing rocks, sticks, etc. at a bear it helps if you have another plan for defense hopefully bear spray. I’ve never had a bear charge me after I have hazed it but some individuals get a little upset. I had a small brown phase black bear last summer start huffing, vocalizing, and popping it’s teeth at me after I threw a few rocks at it. The bear moved on, but I think it is a good idea to have a back up plan.

In regards to bear spray, it does work, just this fall in NW Montana it save the live of three people.

I have a friend who lives in Whitefish
And works for the NPS doing trail maintenance, they wear bells when traveling.

NIce suggestion, thanks!!

Depends how you cook 'em.

Bears
Who do you know on trail crew for Glacier?

I’m a Ranger for the park.

I suspect that some one if feeding you a line.

I don’t know any employee’s in the park that wear bells. In fact the NPS advises agaisnt bear bells.

But then again, life has proven me to be wrong more than I am right.

Cheers,

Jfo4