Beginner Canoe - Quest Canoes?

I think it depends
paddling available in a particular area. Here in northern Illinois, the vast majority of paddling available is river paddling. Generally, people are doing day trips. I almost always paddle solo, and at least 50% of the canoes on group outings are also solo. If I take an extended trip, I frequently have someone accompany me and I do tandem, as camping gear quantity can be reduced due to equipment sharing and the like.

I also suspect that the majority of tandem canoes are sold to entry level paddlers, and mspt typically would prefer to paddle in situations where less manuevering skills are required such as in lakes or large slow moving rivers. My experience is that many entry level paddlers for any number of reasons lose interest or do not paddle very frequently. For those who do take a more active interest, many tend to obtain a solo boat and eventually paddle more challenging type situations.

Just what I observe here in this part of the counry.

WeNonah makes 5
Mohawk makes 3 Flat water and about 5 WW and there are three OT’s. Plus there are several other smaller brands out there making solos. Also bear in mind that people paddle their tandems solo as well.

It just may be where you paddle as you say, but overall solo paddling is definitely the up and coming thing.

agree
except that because of the “bad canoe” experience his younger brother is totally turned off by canoes.

I didnt see this part before
"I think I read two hints on the above postings: paddling in groups with kayaks and racing, both of which are in no way “normal” canoe activities as most people don’t race and few canoers paddle with kayakers because they’re always in such a damned hurry." -RVWEN

Racing is a normal caoneing activity. Thats why the ACA, USCA, USACK and a few other orgs sancion racing and promote it. The race I am referring to is a recreational race for charity where people come to run what they paddle and have fun.

Secondly , you obviously do not paddle with groups or belong to a club or you opinions about canoes and kayaks paddling together would not be so stilted. Your biases are showing.

You also state that you live in Vacationland. Well vacationland normally equalls rental land for canoes and if you will remember my original post “Rentals, Families and Boy Scouts…” it makes perfect sense that you would be seeing tandems. But it is not representative of the real world

thats unfortunate
because the canoe did nothing wrong.

There is a little principle that unless you have considerable counter balance and experience with heeling the boat to the rail that your head should stay within the confines of the gunwales. Tandem partners can learn to counterbalance so one can look for the dunked sunglasses but its not an imborn trait.

Thats why people fall in before they get started. They just step in. The legs are in and the head is out…sploosh.

No one was born knowing how to do hiding harold.

…both he and his brother need to…

– Last Updated: May-24-07 12:08 PM EST –

take a class or two. Most beginners would find doing a little homework on the basics would pay huge dividends.
Too many people think that if they can drive a car, they can do just about anything within the first 10 minutes...and that if they have to "learn" something new, the thrill will be gone.

quest
canoe its a decent beginner canoe i have one if its like mine 42" wide its very stable on a slow river