Beginner Questions - Buying Used, Mounting on Roof Rack, Transport and Storage

That’s funny. Might even be a bitch and three quarters. Just good that you’re aware. I’m loading onto a 4-Runner with a rack and everything works out but a few inches more height could be a problem for me.

@TomL - So I may have lucked out a bit, but also it’s because of your advice. I kept hunting, did a bit more research into materials/types of Canoes.

I’ve found a 1993 Mad River Malecite Canoe. It’s had only one owner since it came off the Mad Rive line in 1993 and he even had it fully restored 10 years ago. New spruce gunnels and deck, ash seats and a fully repaired hull. It wasn’t in the price range I was originally considering, but come with a ceiling hoist, transport dolly and all the roof mounting/straps to go along with it! plus its 48lbs vs 90lbs. not too mention, I love buying things with history.

It’s not mine yet. but here’s hoping.

I wanted to show you the garage mount I built and screwed to the joist and makes it very easy to slide the canoe over to the vehicle. However, this is a "roll-up garage door that doesn’t extend into the storage area.

Used this foldable bracket from Amazon and just bought some “hand rail” from the local lumber yard and screwed the wood onto the bracket. It works easier if I back in so the radio antenna isn’t in the way.https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XJRNHD1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 When not storing the canoe the brackets fold down, plus I am shorter

Imgur

The Toyota FJ has no roof rack.
Imgur

Malecites are sweet boats and it’s hard not to like wood trim. A Malecite will also solo quite a bit better than the other boats that you were considering. I hope you get it.

I’ll answer your questions below.

Foam Padding or blocks for the cross bars?

SA-Lots of suggestions already. You didn’t state whether your cross bars are round on not.

Tie Down Straps:

SA-I use 1/4” nylon rope and use a truckers hitch to tie down the canoe. The do double duty as painter lines. Less gear is better.

Bow and Stern Straps:

SA-I only tie down the bow if we are traveling any distance and again I use nylon rope.

Hood Loops (I saw these in another post and they looked smart):

SA-Most foreign cars have cargo hooks below the bumpers. Make your own hood loops. Take a 4-6” piece of PVC tubing and drill a hole in the middle, then pass a piece of 3/16 to 1/4” cord through the hole and tie a loop in it.

best dolly/transport tool?:

SA-We either each take an end or use a portage yoke.

Favorite Wall Mount or are sawhorses OK?:

SA-I hang my canoes from the ceiling the grab loops. Saw horses are good as they can be used to perform maintenance on the canoe at waist height.

I have a huge basement but its a bit humid down there. will this be an issue with a Royalex or similar boat? I live in North Jersey so big temp swings from summer to winter?

SA-If you purchase a Royalex hull and it gets very cold, you will have to make sure you unscrew the bow and stern gunnel screws before winter. Search the internet for further info. If it has wood trim keep it oiled unless it is varnished. If it has cane seats treat them with spar varnish when the cane starts to look dry.

As to camera boxes, I have used 50 Caliber padded ammo boxes on white water trips with never a problem.

One other comment on hull material. If you don’t plan on doing any whitewater greater than class I, I would think about a Kevlar or performance fiberglass canoe. They are going to be easier to paddle in comparison to Royalex in the same hull length. They may also be lighter in weight. If you want to paddle solo don’t go longer than 16 ft.

Be aware that if you are using an added rack system, you void the warranty if you do not use bow and stern tie downs with most of them. Most rack systems sold today include them.

I based my comments on my 40+ years of canoeing experience. If I loose my canoe from the roof of the car, that’s my fault not the manufacturer. I take responsibility for my own actions and know how to secure a canoe to a vehicle. Others may want to follow a different method.

My comment was in regard to the failure of a rack system and its warranty, Most reputable rack system manufacturers offer a lifetime warranty for their racks and anything they are carrying. For many carrying boats the warranty requires that bow and stern lines are used in addition to the normal straps or lines. The sudden failure of a rack component is rare, but not unknown.

Bow and stern lines also reduce the possibility of injuries to others if a boat comes loose for whatever reason, such as in an auto accident. Often the rack will break loose rather than the boat coming off the rack.

Tom. I got her

2 Likes

This is exactly what I need for the garage space I have. I just bought them off amazon. kudos for the link and pictures.

Congrats! Beautiful boat. I hope you share your impressions with us after you spend some time with your new boat.

I have 2 tandems that rarely get used but I still think about a good deal on a Malecite that I passed up 2-3 years ago.