Bell Flashfire or Wildfire

More is more
I’m not sure that more is more. But most uf us are capable of carrying a 40 pound canoe a fair distance without it really being a burden. I can understand that a 120 pound lady might struggle with a 40 pound burden, but really. So why spend more than twice as much for a boat that is less durable, has more flex, and is only a few pounds lighter.

I don’t want to worry about breaking my boats… I want to use them and hjave fun with them. That heavy Flashfire has been the most fun of all the other canoes I own… Nothing like a canoe you can really use, and it’s still light enough to toss over a shoulder and walk a quarter mile to the lake.

PK

My Merlin in blackgold
weighs 38 lbs and is featherweight for me. My Advantage is in fiberglass and weighs about 52 lbs. A whitegold Flash at 40 is still a dream.

Flashfire is cheating
From my experience there is nothing hotter than a Flashfire for freestyle capability - other than the even shorter Loonworks boats or a short whitewater boat.

The freestyle capability of the Wildfire is incredible…already user-limited in my case, and the Flashfire accelerates and turns even better - so it’s cheating.

For true competition I think you’re supposed to cheat as much as you can get away with.

It’s alway a rush to paddle a Flashfire.

Flashfire is too small to carry a dog so useless to me (us).

Depends
Here is my two cents. I compete at FS. I paddle a Flashfire. The Bell “Fire” boats are definitely not the only ones that win competitions, but they are fantastic boats and a good value and high quality for the price. Last year’s nationals were won in a Navarro Whisper (Bob Foote Design but not in production) and a Loonworks Nakoma.

I’m much lighter than you are. I started with a Wildfire and traded for a Flash within a couple of months because I had trouble getting the rail down. Now that I’ve been doing it for several years, I can get the rail down on the Wildfire. I would have no hesitation paddling a Wild and competing in it, but it would require a more “dominating” style for me. More high kneel moves and more harder pushing on the rail.

Part of boat fit is lower leg length. If you are planning to do many transverse kneeling moves, you want to make sure the boat isn’t too narrow for the distance from your knee to foot. I have long lower legs and the Flash is just barely wide enough for my comfort.

Another thing, if you intend to be really serious about performing FS, look for the boat where you can not only get the rail down but also is quiet when you move around in it. Keeping the boat from bobing and the rails from rocking when you paddle takes practice and can be hard work for many. The Flash will probably give you more of a challenge in that department.

Both are wonderful boats in composite layup. The Wildfire in RX isn’t the same boat and in my opinion is not as nice as the composite Wild.

The Flashfire is harder to find because it is no longer in production.

Try both, and then buy what gives you joy!

Jill