Bell Northwind vs Northwoods

The practical benefit of a foot of extra
length, for canoe tripping, in canoes that are otherwise similar, is that the longer canoe can carry the same amount of weight with more freeboard, or more weight with about the same freeboard. Experienced canoe trippers can shave a week’s load down to a minimum that may allow them to use a shorter, lighter canoe that is more easily portaged. And with their experience, they may be less likely to get caught out on a big lake with 2’ whitecapped waves.

So, if you’re a light packer and have good wind, wave, and weather judgement, treat yourself to a shorter, lighter boat. The longer boat’s speed on the water isn’t a big factor. Probably what makes more difference in traveling speed is efficiency getting over the portages.

You are racing?
Your time lost will be far greater on portages than gained on the water.

No one is paid enough to do the analysis you want unless YOU have both boats and a GPS and some representative water and portages.

I did not know this was a race. And I think you answered your own question a little while ago.

We are not you…trust your gut.

skin friction
The extra foot is not going to be noticeable wrt yo skin friction or drag on the hull. It’s probably offset by the length factor in the overall efficiency.

Speed differences
Maximum theoretical speed for the 18.5 is 6.67 mph, the 17.5 is 6.5mph. Neither top end will ever be reached tripping, the difference that counts being increased skin friction in the longer hull at 3.5 mph.

A more meaningful differential is how many living things can either boat carry?

That said, neither is currently in production. If I found either one in Black/Gold, I’d buy it. Significantly higher build quality than the Kev-Lite hulls.

Speed
I am not basing any decision on the speed factor. But, it is interesting to know. I agree that the more important aspect is what can be hauled, and does it meet your needs in this attribute. As I stated, we pack very light. Hence, we do not need a large amount of room for gear. Thus, it really comes down to people and dog.

So, here is what I decided: the Northwind. It is in black gold, with wood gunnels, thwarts, and seats. It is the first version of this canoe, as it has the seam running across the hull. I can’t wait to get it in the water this weekend.

You may ask, what did I take into consideration. Well first, I did think that the delaying when we would need two canoes, was a sound argument. The deciding point was two fold. I do not want to be buying two canoes down the road. Second, we can always rent a larger canoe should the need arise for a season or two. Otherwise, the amount of room should be more than sufficient for most everything we do.

Also, I know that the Northwind can be paddled solo. It might be fun to paddle Canadian style.

Next, it does not look good for Bell Canoes in the future. It is my understanding that potential buyers believe there is no resurrecting it. I may never find another Bell in pristine condition. So, i bought the one I have dreamed of owning.

Lastly, regardless of what has been said here. My personal experience says that shorter is better when portaging. Even if it is only a foot. My family is from the range. I grew up there. I have been in a canoe for over 40 years. I trust my own experience more than conjecture on this point. If there had actually been an argument beyond, “I do not believe…” It would have been given more weight in my decision process.

Also, it may be informative to know that the waterline argument did not hold up to the spec sheet on Bells web site. They give the same water line at the same weights. The ideal weights are within ~8% of each other. Total available volume was far more important of a factor.

I may have chosen differently, if there had been more personal accounts regarding the Northwoods. If my needs where different, I would have chosen the larger canoe. But, neither was the case. I appreciate everyone taking the time to post your responses.

See you on the water - thanks.

I Think You’ll Like It

– Last Updated: Jun-16-11 11:22 PM EST –

I don't believe you'll regret that decision for a moment! Darn good hull, and in BG with wood it'll be beautiful! I don't live up there, but in 30 some trips I agree that a foot can make a big difference on the portage trail. WW

Enjoy it
And don’t look back.