Below freezing - Concerns/observations:

Cozy? No. Good idea? Yes.
The fact that such small containers keep their contents hot for an extended time means the rate of heat loss is extremely low. If you could feel heat coming from them, the contents would no longer be warm after a pretty short time.

I agree that it’s very clever thinking though.

Hot Water Bottle

– Last Updated: Dec-01-12 10:54 AM EST –

A nalgene bottle filled with hot water and
put in an old sock will warm the cockpit
nicely for an extended period of time.

A thermos won't radiate heat into the cockpit
but a nalgene does the job nicely.

Hydration in winter is crucial so you don't bonk

Dave…

– Last Updated: Dec-01-12 12:47 PM EST –

Stay home..............

Turn up the heater in the house; put on your Mickey Mouse "jammies", and house shoes, get some hot chocolate, & cookies, wrap up in your "blankie", and watch a canoeing video.

You weenie!!!

:^)
BOB

doh! you’re right
Maybe if one kept a milk jug of hot water, or a hot water bag - something that would emit heat rather than keeping it in.

Cool. Thank you very much.

What not to do…
Lose the grip on your plastic kayak while loading it after a pool session in overnight temps of 10 below zero. My husband did that. The whack wasn’t anything bad, but the combination of the frozen boat grazing the top of his forehead, the ease of bleeding there and the temperatures made him look like he had just been in a battle with an ax murderer. There were frozen thin streams of blood arcing down his face and onto his jacket, of which he was unaware because it was so blasted cold.

On the way home we stopped for a cup of coffee at a convenience store. I suggested that I should go inside the store to get the coffee rather than him…

icing
Things can freeze and create a safety hazard. I had a quick-release tow belt that wouldn’t release because the buckle and webbing got wet and froze during a cold-water practice session.

Try it before you need it…

8-day trip Minus 14 below low point
14 below zero and river freezes across:

http://www.paddling.net/places/showReport.html?2261