Bent or straight

Werner bent shaft can’t be cut
while with a lot of tinkering (cutting and removing the ferrule system) a straight one could.

Needless to say that you would be voiding its warranty.

Makoshark… I never have wrist
problems. But I would be pleased to see any published, refereed studies that show 30 degree feather to be easier on the wrists than 75 degree feather.

I agree 100% with Eric Nyre 3/10 post

– Last Updated: Mar-12-09 12:06 AM EST –

My thoughts on bent versus straight. I have owned several of both and swear by straight for myself for the reasons above from E-Nyre. I love the way I can use it in an extended paddle position--for instance intuitively adjusting hands to compensate for wind and directional control, almost like a Greenland stick. You know, the way Wayne Horodowich and Derke Hutchinson speak of in their DVD. And also, of course, for extended paddle rolling (aka Pawlatta roll), which I often use until I get my bearings for the first couple rolls, but in the soup, would likely use often. I find the hand variability to be a huegly favorable benefit to the non-bent shaft. I also find that, once I no longer have the "death grip" on the paddle, I never have the tendontitis issues or the mechaical advantage gains that are so requisite for bent shaft designs... the straight works great. Plus straights are, to me, less clumsy for paddle rescues and such, when the bends can get in the way of free paddle placement. But I know some like the bents, and that is reasonable and fine.

PS I own several bents, including a great bent shaft Corryvrecken. Anyone want to buy off me at 1/2 off retail, shoot me an email. It's like new, thin orange f/glass and adjustable ferrule

PPS My actual shaft is slightly bent. Corkscrewed, more precisely.

Bent
I have stacks of paddles, straight and bent, in all flavors… surf, whitewater and touring… and I always go for the bent shaft. I won’t over analyze it, they just feel right.

I will re-iterate what others have said…

• 230 is too long.
  • bent shafts reduce your ability to move your hands around on the shaft, some are better in this regard than others. My AT seems to have plenty of ‘room’ in the ‘bends’ to allow some movement. Because of these limitations, be sure to buy the bent paddle that fits and works for you (i.e. try before you buy).

I think bent paddles have a more ‘intuitive’ feel. The bent shaft gives you some ‘indexing’ that provides for a nice feel for where your blades are.

If you are swayed one way or the
other by anyone offering opinions on what paddle and configuration is best for them, will likely be a waste of your money. Instead test multiple configurations and get an idea of what the theories behind the paddles made up will do for you. Test it in your present boat, with your present style and consider a forward stroke and other stroke tune up session. That will likely lead to a more informed decision. My opinion of what I like has little to do with what you are actually doing on the water.

Dogmaticus

I’m Straight…
…but bent as heck!

now that’s a sensible answer
So right: what I like and do is so different than what you do.

If Bob paddles a long blade that does not mean that Bill should do the same.

Only by testing several paddles for a bit of time (a few minutes tells you nothing) the OP might end up with an OK paddle.

He might be lucky by purchasing something from these suggestions and get used to it.

What I thought a few years back to be the perfect paddle for me then is something that I would not paddle with now. Same for kayaks.

If the OP will persist with paddling (most just dab and let go after a season) he most likely will progress and get an other paddle, kayak and so on.

Getting it “right” first time is virtually impossible because we all grow, progress and learn new skills.

On the other hand I have seen beginners that stuck to their gear for decades but most times those remained, how shall I say it… beginners.

While a carbon paddle is not cheap and the purchase should not be hasty, kayaking is still cheaper than motorized “entertainment”

Is this your first paddle?
If it is, I would get a straight shaft. That will work well for all conditions, especially when you need to move your hands around the paddle a lot. If you’ve already got a straight shaft and have wrist problems, you may want to get a bent for your second paddle. I have both types, and use either as the conditions warrant. My bent shaft is a Werner Camano, and I’m happy with it.

Regarding length, I would lean towards a shorter paddle, but just make sure you can return it if you’re not able to test it ahead of time. I bought a 220 when I first started and, for my combination of height and kayak width, I kept on hitting the side of my kayak with the paddle. I ended up having to return it and get a 230 for that kayak, but 220s work well on others for me.

“bent” or "straight"
My daughter toured England with a scholastic all-star soccer team (football team in England) in the late 80’s. While playing games my daughter was frequently asked by the English female players if she was “bent”. As she ultimately learned, that was a English term for gay at that time. A large number of the female English players, at that time, were lesbians. My daughter was surprised, as she and her teammates were “straight”.

In England there is a very macho attitude about “football” being a man’s game, much like “American Football” in the USA. So that attitude may have influenced which female English players chose or avoided playing “football”. Whatever, the American female “football” players won every game, usually playing against older players. Can’t say if that was because being “straight” or “bent” - more likely it was the result of their being more skillful players.

Dave

Bent as a spare - stowing and retrieval
I had a great Werner Kuaui bant shaft, but still had wrist and elbow issues - it was the carbon being so stiff. Went to a GP and joint pains improved considerably. I used the Werner as my spare - but in rescue practice, I found the bent shaft paddle halved to sometimes be very difficult to remove from under the decklines because of the bends and the drip ring. Just one more thing to consider about bent shafts. Of course, if it’s your main, and never your spare, that’s not an issue.

Paula