Bent Shaft Touring paddle quest./ poll..

I asked you…
because in the short run, a bent shaft might allow you to get in the water. However, in the long run, wrists/shoulders problems should be addressed by a weight lifting program to re-inforce the area.

According to a MD I saw a month ago, most if not all of the wrist/shouder injures while paddling might be avoided by proper technique and a serious weight lifting program due to the fact that paddling is a low impact sport.

Regards,

Iceman

Paddle questions
I paddle a Necky Looksha IV. I’m 6’0 tall and 195lbs. I paddle all kinds of trips from afternoon get aways to extended week+ long overnighters with all gear and water and food packed.

I finished making my first greenland paddle a couple months ago and it is already my favorite (unshouldered storm paddle about 74" long). I’ve already paddled it in heavy wind/chop (+4’ white caps) and glassy water and can honestly say that I can’t wait to make my next one, this time full size. I used Red Cedar, and it’s very light weight. Flex is about what you’d expect. I love it.

My other paddle is a high-end carbon Werner 230cm. Light weight and very nice. It’s quite stiff compared to my new storm paddle, but very comfortable to use all day long b/c it is so light.

I must admit that the Werner is slowly taking place as a spare on my deck more and more, and the greenland it becoming my preference. Not sure if its the idea of making my own paddle, or the romance of the wood, or whatever - but the GP is an excellent tool to wield throught the water.

I’d “go to battle” with either however. Cheers. -Zack

I agree 100%
In fact, I can say that the more I worried about paddling “correctly” the less discomfort I have had. Ditto on the weight lifting and conditioning.