Best Assisted Recovery in Rough Stuff???

I Wouldn’t Go Out In These Conditions
I don’t think it’s fair to myself or my paddling partners to entrust my survival completely to them. If I don’t feel like I’d have a fair chance of rescuing myself in these conditions, I wouldn’t paddle in them.

Lou

Adventure on the High Seas
Yep, we have undertaken just such an approach. We scout the area, look for coves, bail outs, collection points. Let folks poke out into it, and practice, if fail the wind and condition blow all back into the collection area.

Idea is to challenge and learn not overwhelm and freak people out. Safety margin is strong and people area guided to discover what works best for them, their boat and equipment needs.

That’s What It’ll Be In the Coming Week.
“adventure…”

I’ve “poked” myself out there increasingly in the past several years, largely alone. I know pretty much what I can handle alone. Not sure with others whom I’m not familiar with. The worse would be to just have someone flip out…

The hypothetical situation you provided, as others already pointed out, should not happen. No newbie should be out there in those conditions. For that matter, I wouldn’t go with others who claim more knowledge and skills unless I have seen them in action. There are folks who are simply “talking the walk.” One of the best places to see someone in action is in the surf zone. If they can’t handle themselves in that, I don’t expect them to be able “rescue” anyone in the conditions you described.

sing

Interesting scenario----
Without arguing over whether the padler should have been out or not—he/she’s there now, I would not worry about boat orientation to the waves at all.

First priority is to get the paddler out of the water. An assited T would do that. If the paddler couldn’t get himself over his back deck, I would have him climb over my deck first (it will be lower with me in the boat) and then up onto his deck.

I would have the third paddler help stabilize the rafted boats during the rescue.

After we pumped out his boat and before we turned him loose, I would take two paddlefloats (mine and the victim’s or the other paddler’s and place it on both sides of the victim’s spare paddle (mine if he didn’t carry one).

I would then reig that as a stabilizer for both sides of his kayak.

If he couldn’t keep paddling that way, I would then have the other paddler raft up with him and I would start a rafted tow.

It happens
Yeah it shouldn’t happen, but it does. I think that one small change in the proposition would put this scenario closer to what people have reported encountering from time to time on this board.

That is, a couple of appropriately skilled and geared up (including clothes) paddlers go out together and are doing just fine. However, they come upon an under-prepared paddler or two who have somehow ventured out into this stuff, either renters who have been allowed out by outfitters wishing for a short business career, or individuals who just haven’t connected the dots on what they and their boats can do. To make this closer to those events, I suppose that you’d have to add in the handicap of the rescuee being in a boat with questionable flotation and limited or no deck rigging.

That kind of thing has happened, and it seems that nearby ably-skilled kayakers often spot the stuation and try to help.

The good news is that 13 to 14 seconds is a pretty generous period, so even at five feet there should be some time to manage the situation including step by step explanations to the paddler being rescued.

Tough Question
It’s obvious you don’t take a beginner out in rough stuff to start with. Especially without at least doing some practice re-entries first. One big problem is keeping the swimmer safe from being hitting by the boat. If two rescuers are available one should stabilize the kayak while the other sees to the swimmer. Have the swimmer hold one to the rear of a kayak to be towed back to his boat. Assuming first that he/she managed to do a wet exist. If the swimmer is still in the yak try the hand of god rescue. That’s where you upright his boat while he’s still in the cockpit. This forum is inadequate for explain rescue technique well enough. I’d suggest buying a book on rescue and re-entry.

As far as SOTs go I use a 14’ Illusion in whitewater and can re-enter while still in the rough stuff. Fact is I’ve found it easier than re-entering in flat water. Often a wave will help lift me onto it if I keep the boat downstream from me. Done it many times without falling off or losing a paddle.

quickly
4’ every 13 seconds? You ocean paddlers have it easy! Yeah, I know - another thread.

I agree with the idea of getting the paddler out of the water asap. Turning the boats into the waves would make it quicker; and it would have to because they won’t stay that way for too long. Since the paddler has experience, I’ll assume they’ve had some rescue training. They might prefer a certain type of rescue because it works well for them. Of course, if they’re freaked out then it’s time for the rescuer to take control.

sounds like boasting
The conditions you mentioned are mild compared to the conditions the people I paddle with paddle in and practice rescues in.

Wow, 4’@ 13 sec, that is flat! Not kidding, either.

OK, here it is.

One, did the swimmer let go of their boat? You are in a world of hurt. If you are close to shore, and the wind is onshore, do a swimmer tow, get to shore, and abandon the boat. If necessary, do a contact tow with the other boat to gain stability, and use a back deck swimmer tow.

Offshore wind? Now you are really up to your neck. One paddler stays with the swimmer, the other goes for the empty boat and tows it back. If, if, if, and only if you are strong enough, and the visibility allows. Otherwise, SOL.

Did the swimmer hold on to the boat? Just do a classic t-rescue, an intermediate (example, bcu 4* paddler) should be able to perform this, in fact, if done right, it puts the rescuer into a very stable position. The wind will quickly put you beam to the wind, the biggest problem is after you put someone back in- they will be exposed to beam seas when you let them go. Two solutions, one is to have the 3rd clip in a tow during the rescue and keep all pointing into the wind. The problem is in unclipping. If the initial clip is through the deck lines of the rescuer and to the rescuee, the rescuer can then “walk” up the the rescuees boat after the rescue, unclip and let them go. Often the tow will not easily feed through the deck lines of the rescuers boat, so beware. It may be possible for the rescuee to “walk” up while rafted and free up things.

If the rescuer is strong and skilled enough, turning upwind after the the re-enter can be done while in contact.

Not skilled enough to do a t-rescue? Do a rafted t-rescue. Too gnarly to empty, or for that matter, let the rescuee continue? Do a rafted re-enter and pump, and then have one clip in and do a rafted tow.

Is the problem that the swimmer has issues (body type, tired, or lack of training) getting back in? If you give clear instructions, they can be coached back in even if they have never done one before. If the in-between or outside method is not part of their repertoire, use the heel hook method. So effective that some that needed a stirrup can do without (I dislike stirrups in rough water). Do not hesitate to simply reach over, grab them and haul. For some, having the boats aligned the same direction can allow both rear decks to be used (especially if they start on the rescuers boat, it is lower in the water).

If this fails, raft all 3 and do a scoop and pump out. Last resort is a stirrup. Current thinking is to use the sling around the cockpit; the older method of using a paddle, looping it between the boats, underneath the rescuees boat and then around the paddle again, is considered poor because, if they really need the sling, chances are the swimmer is too unhelpful or incapacitated to assist, as they have to often get their head in the water to reach between the boats during the set up. If you have and know how to use a contact tow (deck mount), and it is long enough, and the rescuees boat has perimeter lines on the aft deck, use it as the stirrup (best set up I have used).

While there is more, hopefully this helps. Overall, there is not a “best”, but an order of priorities.

Althought the “best” rescue I have used in dire straits, such a rock garden suck hole, is to dart in to the swimmer, they grab your bow, go upside down and re-enter their boat, “eskimo rescue” back up, and are in perfect position to be contact towed out (still holding on to rescuers boat). Insanely fast.

karl

That sounds like a SOT with a shallow
V shaped, or flat, hull. Some SOT’s have a more rounded hull that preforms more like a SINK.

T-rescue or just get them in the boat?
For me, one big question is whether to bother doing the T, or just get them back in the boat immediately.

Benefits of just getting them back in without the T:

1. the boat is lower with the water inside, so it’s easier for many people to get across the deck
  2. you get them out of cold water more quickly
  3. in big water, emptying the boat may not help much, if waves fill it right back up
  4. in big water, dragging a boat over my boat gets pretty unnerving, once that upper boat starting lunging around

Benefits of doing the T:
  5. sure is easier to pump out an almost empty boat!

Much more likely conditions here, in the Apostle Islands, is 2 foot confused chop, which can send unbalanced people over pretty quickly. Then it makes sense to do the T, since waves won’t quickly fill the boat. On the other hand, confused chop that sends people over is most common when people are paddling too close to sea caves and headlands, in which case I’d want to get them back in the boat as quickly as possible so we can tow them the heck out of there.

Good description
I hadn’t really thought about the unhooking a tow part. In a situation where the tow is mainly to maintain the heading would it make sense to only clip the rescuee’s boat and depend on the rescuer’s grip on the coaming to keep them together? I guess your discription means you go bow-to-bow.

I learned the heel-hook reentry this spring and really like it. Haven’t seen it in any of the books, though.

Thanks Karl.

A standard T rescue should work
I’ve done them in somewhat similar conditions. Ideally, you want a third paddler with a stabilizing tow to keep you pointed into the waves. It DOES make a significant difference and is much easier than ending up beam-to, which is what happens without the tow. In particular, it’s less likely that the swimmer will get dumped back in the water once, they’re on their deck or that either paddler will be pinched between the boats as they ride the swells/waves.

25kt winds,
that’ll be the bitch,no one will be maneuvering very well if they have high windage kayaks, tops of waves will be blown off,if anyone lets go of ANYTHING it’s gone,zip,GONE. I could see that the beginner will have lost his paddle and the rescuer will have to have a spare accessible. If third kayaker isn’t essential for re-entry and pump and getting blown a hundred yards down wind affects overall safety then a tow to orient into the wind sounds worthwhile but it would depend.

Looks like a place where a a lot of PRIOR communication is necessary.

Thanks! amigos
Thanks for putting up with this rather peculiar post and for the weath of ideas. The day I stop learning stuff is time to stop leading.

I find that regardless of how careful I and others are to check out people, invariably we find someone who has over rated themselves, or they are not capable on that day of performing something, so this situation becomes a real one.

I find myself fortunate to have fellow paddlers here and where I live who are willing to entertain these questions so we can plan in advance what and how to handle things.

Evan

Training is the key
If several of you that paddle together regularly also do your rescue training together, you’ll know each other’s capabilities and you’ll know how each other will react in a rescue. When everyone knows their roles, it reduces the need for direction and communication between rescuers and streamlines the entire rescue process. That makes it much easier to deal with “victims” with limited capabilities.

It is so!
Absolutely positively so! We got together last winter and by dialogue started what we called Thursday Rock N’ Roll Rescue, a weekly session from April till now practicing anything and everything in a fun but serious manner. We had over 128 folks take part. Hopefully people will, like you say know each other better, know what to expect better, and depend less on talk and more on practice. Actually several members have executed recoveries in real situations that would have not been possible before, many many folks have learned rolling and bracing, assistted and self recoveries, wet re-entry and roll ups, even rec paddlers!

Looking forward to the progession to next year. Thanks for your comments.

sounds like fun
I’m not as close to rough water paddling as I used to be but when I was paddling with a club in NorthernCalifornia I couldn’t hide my weaknesses very well after paddling solo for a few years. It sounds like you are one fast track.

Regarding prior communications I had a good experience on a Thanksgiving kayak trip after first moving out here. It was five people paddling in cold air with constant 20mph wind with gusts to 35. Before the return we talked about the need for towing and that if ANYONE saw the need the decision to do so would be done in seconds without any debate. Sure enough 1/4mile out and around the bend it was obvious one person couldn’t make appreciable headway sufficient for a 4mile paddle and the tow was decided and executed in about 20 seconds. Everything from hand/paddle signals to Plan A,B,C can make a rescue more successful if you don’t have to communicate verbally in high winds and rough conditions.

whenever I am playing victim
with someone with some experience I just try and recapsize! Might as well use my excess wieght as a training tool!

Need for stabilizing tow

– Last Updated: Aug-16-05 3:21 AM EST –

I've always been taught -- and have observed -- that an unpaddled boat will go beam to the wind. Weathercocking, in my understanding, occurs when a boat is moving forward, which places pressure on the bow, leaves the stern "skidding" in relatively unstable water, and thus allows the wind to push the stern downwind, pivioting, as it were, around the pinned bow.

So, in this rescue situation, nobody's boat will automatically point into the wind... they will need a stabilizing tow for that. Seems like a stabilizing tow upwind will also be useful to prevent massive drift, especially if it might take you all someplace you don't want to go.

But then a question -- which boat(s) to put the stabilizing tow on -- rescuer(s), rescuee or both?

--David.