Best carbon wing paddle?

blade size
I don’t know about the Onno paddles specifically but in general large blades are overkill for size needed to get maximum grip on the water. Unless you’re paddling sub 1:50 500m then a large wing is useless. Actually 1:50 might be a little slow as sub 1:50 is definitely doable with a mid wing unless you’re pretty heavy. You’d likely get plenty of workout from a mid wing with good technique.

think of it like a bicycle
You do not want to be in your highest gear all the time. And you can spin a loweer gear faster to get the same results as a high gear.

A mid blade will put less strain on your wrists and shoulders and will give you PLENTY of exercise!

You’ll get plenty tired with any paddle
The smaller/mid blade ones will let you exercise longer and have less downtime from injuries.

For general paddling - in something like a fast sea kayak, give me a small to mid size parallel edge design (vs. the now predominate tear drop shapes - which I suppose I’ll learn to love someday). One of my favorite paddles currently is a hybrid somewhere between this sort of “recreational” wing and an Aleutian paddle.

All the recommended paddles are good. I’ve only seen two ONNO and used one just very briefly (JackL’s) and it was pretty damn sweet. I have and EPIC mid myself - also very nicely made - but it doesn’t quite sing to me. Maybe if I actually used it more regularly…

OK, thanks!
Think I’ll defer to your collective expertise. Be well, and thank you all once again!

All are variations of Brasca IV
Wing paddles are complex beasts with a number of design shape parameters that standard paddles do not get anywhere near. Twist, Real Dihedral, camber depth, draft location for example are unique to wing paddles.

Despite all these variables, it appears the most popular seakayak/surfski wing paddles are quite similar to or nearly identical knock-offs of the Bracsa IV (it came first) blade shape. Beyond that, the various brands may offer more significant differences in area, construction methods, shaft locking mechanisms, shaft stiffness, etc…that you might find appealing.

It does not matter to me what brand of wing paddle you buy. I just think a little credit is due to Brasca (or however they spell it) for developing the popular wing paddle blade shape that many other manufacturers have started from in their own designs. Based on comments from others, I’m not sure anyone has improved upon the Bracsa IV blade shape.

I am curious to try the Bracsa VII (I think?) because it appears to be Bracsa’s next evolution of their IV.

I also hear great things about Onno’s wings, if you are patient enough to wait for one. I’m told Onno’s new lever lock system is the best out there because it is the only one that will allow a quick change of feather or length on the fly. I am a one-piece paddler so have not yet convinced myself that adjustability is something I would appreciate. However if I went two piece, then Onno’s new lever lock system seems to be the fastest most reliable mechanism yet.

Lendal?
Has anyone tried them and compared to others? I have a carbon straight shaft sitting in my garage and I’m debating if I should not add a set of wings for it.

I tried a friend’s Epic wing and it felt great for the short time I had it - it kind of guides you in the stroke and tells you if you’re not doing it right.

What I am looking for is using it as touring blade on a touring boat so a full race wing might not be for me. Lendal Kinetic Wing seems to be designed for this (http://www.rutabaga.com/product.asp?pid=1010045. Though looking at the close to $400 price tag of a set of wings in CC I’m not sure I want to do that…