Best cold weather gloves

I’ve worn the gloves canoeing in cold weather and they worked fine, they got slightly damp though I did not get them completely soaked.

Salt water doesn’t damage wool at all. North Sea fisherman and US Navy crewmen have worn woolen clothing for centuries. I used to buy those navy blue wool Navy issue winter uniform pants with the 14 button drop front (allegedly designed so sailors could pee over the side without dropping their pants) and tailor them for myself to wear for winter backpacking. (side note: the development of polyester fleecewear for cold and wet conditions started with Helly Hansen making garments for North Sea fishermen and sailors in the 1960’s).

best gloves?- stash a thin pair of nrs gloves in your pfd (for emergencies) and use pogies, pogies, pogies!

I recently purchases some boiled wool mittens but have not yet used them paddling. I have wondered though how one might add some of that grippy stuff to the palm (like some gloves/mittens have when you purchase them). I have thought about silicone or something along those lines. It just needs to stick to the glove and remain flexible. I welcome any thoughts.

You’re probably better off using grip wax on the paddle shaft.