Best Decked Canoes

Hi Neo. That certainly cuts to the chase

– Last Updated: Jun-06-04 6:42 AM EST –

Hi Neo. That certainly cuts to the chase.

What I have found is kayak = pain, numbness, stiffness, and so on. Canoe = comfort and a whole lot more versatility. Sea Wind = all a canoe offers plus a whole lot more efficiency in every way, with just a few minor problems of a kayak, but never as severe. I do not experience the back pain, numbness, or stiffness in a Sea Wind, even after 50 miles at a sitting or an extra long day (max 15 hours for me so far).

Call me now if you are up and near a fon. We'll discuss comfort and all the aspects you wish to. Check your e-mail for number. I'll be gone w/in the hour. If you miss me this morning try this evening.

Happy Paddl'n!

>:^)

Mick

Hey I have a cooke’s spraydeck
and it aint watertight. Far from it. I mean, it keeps the rain off me and my stuff but when the bow gets burried water comes in likes there’s no tomorrow. There is no seal at the edges other than the brass buttons every six inches that hold it in place. Not at all like a sprayskirt fit to the combing of a kayak cockpit. And mine is a two piece set up with a velcro joint. The velcro joint will leak like a sieve.

Still, an excellent addition to a canoe when the weather turns for the worst. Sure beats not having one. For me, it was well worth the $300. It almost makes a canoe tolerable in wind and rain. :slight_smile:

to Mick - wish to talk
I still have not received your phone #.

I sent you my direct email and phone #.

Please contact me, neo

Thanks, Scott
I’m a wuss and only get a little bit of water over the top. What I meant to say is that water won’t soak through the fabric if you use the right stuff. Burying the bow in a wave? No, thanks. Glad you set the record straight!

Dave

Saddle

– Last Updated: Jun-06-04 10:33 AM EST –

Having recently crossed over from kayaks to canoes due to back pain I certainly understand. I have a Super Nova set up with a Mohawk saddle. the positioning of kneeling eliminates virtually all back pain as it take the pressur off my spine. I have found it so effective the I also use a "canoe chair" at work, and will sit eiither in my boat of kneel on the floor/grass to relieve back pain after sitting in a retautrant booth driving etc. Perhaps this is something that might help you? I do love the control the saddle offers and could not imagine running the water I do in a regular canoe seat. good luck , I am sure you will find the right combination for you. kim

Mohawk saddle

– Last Updated: Jun-06-04 12:22 PM EST –

Actually I found it on Goggle. I see the position. They make desk chairs that are shaped like this. I have one (can't remember where I got it).
Will have to get it out and see how it feels.

neo from SC

come on down
you can paddle my OC-1 as well. talk about fast… I’d love to see mark come out with a 15.5 foot kruger without the expedition lay-up. maybe i should e-mail him.

how about this for an idea…
http://www.folbot.com/edisto.html

and, it fold up!

Has anyone tried Folbot’s “Cooper” ?
Thanks for the link to Folbot. Their new 16.5 foot Cooper (24" wide) looks hot … especially for the weight (32#) and price ($1200). Very interesting !

re:…
Looks like you simply want an OldTown Loon…:wink:

Sorry part 2, etc did not happen.
Not needed to answer Neo’s redefined question and I ran outta time.

Will be glad to discuss more and maybe even finish parts if you want that after 12 Jul

Happy Paddl’n!

:^)

Mick

Neo , Cooke Custom Covers can
make you a cover for any canoe so it can be ‘decked’.That won’t make it a Kruger, but you get most of the benefits.

www.pokeboat.com
if light weight is your priority.

covers vs. decks
i don’t think a cover would have all the benefits of a molded deck. for one, decked canoes have less freeboard and aren’t as effected by the wind. also, molded decks seem to be more water-tight than covers. having said that, i’d love to have a cooke cover for my rob roy.

pokeboats
should be called jokeboats, imho.

d’oh
i don’t think i’d recommend an old town loon. those things are PIGS. i paddled one about 15 miles in a day and was beat. not efficient, and heavy as a damn classic hot rod.

www.cookecustomsewing.com
Once I get my boat, I will probably want to leave it on the dock most of the time with a full cover on it.

This is the URL:

http://www.cookecustomsewing.com/

Krugers and other decked canoes
What a great thread, with 42 messages in 5 days. There must be some interest in decked canoes here.

I have tried to get some information from Kruger (Mark) on their lighter-weight Seawind, but I have not been able to get a reply.

I am thinking of taking a Seawind out for a test paddle, but that part of Michigan seems to be about 13 hours drive one way for me.

I like my Vagabond Poke Boat
…but at 46lbs, it’s too heavy for Neo. At 16’6" it is longer, narrower and faster than the basic 12’, 26lb Poke Boat. Try it before you scorn it Chad. Even though the Vagabond has a huge cockpit, it’s still not as easy to get in or out of as a canoe because the seat is on the floor of the boat like other kayaks. The factory seat is not too, comfortable, but can be doctored to be good enough. It’s not a speed demon, but not a slug either. It performs well both tandem and solo and on both rivers and lakes. It turns quick, even when you don’t want it too after you stop paddling to use your binoculars.

Also, because of the huge cockpit, it would still need a waterskirt to keep the rain out.

I’ve never paddled a Sea Wind or Rob Roy, but they’re different animals anyway.

Good luck Neo,

David