Best family canoe

Canoe for slow river
I came across this thread through a search, so I’m a newbie to the forum and newbie to canoeing.

I am looking at a used canoe for the family – myself, spouse and two kids aged 8 and 5. There is a slow brown river across the street from us. We are between two dams, but the river runs through wooded sections.

So, the canoe is for just paddling about, looking for river otters, muskrat, pretty views, but the rived is maybe 100’ at the widest and 30’ in some parts. It’s plenty deep enough all around.

I’ve been reading that I should look for a 17’ canoe, but I’m concerned about the turn radius. Could I get myself and spouse on the seats, and kids in the middle in a 15’ canoe? What about if one of the adults just wants to take one (or both) kids. Is a 17’ canoe too much?

Two brands on craigslist near me are 17’ old town discovery and a 14’ fibreglass chief. Any reason to go with or stay away from either?

Thanks for any help!

Have owned about 40 canoes of all different materials and my 13 ’ Grumman lightweight ( 44 lbs ) beats them all for all around use. Have traveled the northwest Ontario bush extensively in the old 13’ boom-a-loom. Currently own a Sawyer cruser, a Dave Yost speacial, a 18’ Grumman lightweight ( 67 lbs ) and the 13’ Grumman lightweight ( 44 lbs.). Go Grumman. Your the best.

Put home made pontoons on the Grummans and in possible to turn over. Even with four people sitting on one side on the cunnel. Safer then the biggest motorboat. No maintenance leave them lay in the back yard all year round. Try that with your slack jawed, sweet smelling. nabby pamby, pretty boy Kevlar and it falls apart in no time. Grumman boom-a-loom the best.

@ said:

Two brands on craigslist near me are 17’ old town discovery and a 14’ fibreglass chief. Any reason to go with or stay away from either?

Thanks for any help!

14’ is too small. You want 16+’ and upper 30’s" for width. Aluminum is too hot/cold, shiny, etc for kids… you can work around those things, but a Royalex boat or even a polyethylene (aka plastic) Saranac type canoe with the cup holder and cubies is great for kids. The poly boats do weight a ton though… so if rooftopping is in your future hold out for Royalex or kevlar, etc.