Best life PFD for kayaking regardless of price!

I’ve got a bunch of pfds- kokatat, astral, nrs, stohlquist, extrasport- go with what is comfortable and fits you well. You want unrestricted movement and a jacket that floats your head and shoulders out of the water. I like jackets that don’t put a lot of stress on the zipper when you put it on- a possible fail point. They all make a quality product- even extrasport recently has upped their game.

I’ve even got universal fit commercial rafting vests, a rescue vest, and a “big water” jacket but rarely use any of that for my own personal paddling, due to the bulk and more restricted movement. Those pfds have their place- rafting class V, boating where flush drowning is a distinct possibility, or for facilitating rescue (clinics) but that type of pfd can actually impede your own swimming abilty (to shore in ww) because they float you up so high.

It is about time for me to replace my current pfd- a stohlquist edge. It is getting a little worn. I usually end up getting a stohlquist instead of an astral because of price. Although, I think the astral’s may hold up a little bit better. I don’t mind some wear and tear on my boats, but every 2-3 years I switch out to a new pfd while there is still plenty of life left in it.

That was a consideration I had as well… How long is a quality PFD actually good for? I find answers that range from 10 years to indefinetley if in good condition. For me personally I think I would likeley replace in the 3-5 year range?

There is some concern that the flotation may lose some of its oomph over years. I have no opinion on the science. But by 8 years a PFD that has been in salt water has taken to looking like it is time for a replacement.

1 Like

This is 100% my experience! I hated to–refused actually–wear the ones that NotThePainter had because they were uncomfortable. Eventually, I found one that’s comfortable and doesn’t squish me in uncomfortable ways. It wasn’t even expensive coming in at under $70.

It’s second nature to put it on now. In fact I’d feel uncomfortable not wearing one even in shallow and calm water.

As long as the foam flotation material in the PFD does not take on water, and has not shrunk to any significant extent, it should still displace the same volume of water.

What I have found goes bad with PFDs is the nylon material of the outer jacket. After prolonged UV exposure it loses strength and is easily torn.

I’ve had a variety of pfds wear out different ways- the old “high floats” and seda’s had foam compression as the main issue. My stolhquist edge (current pfd I’m using most) the fabric is abrading although I don’t quite know why, My older stolquist before that suffered from some foam compression- the jacket just didn’t float me as well after a while- You got to figure I’m boating around 70 days a year, and drying the jacket on a line outside (although out of direct sunlight), I suspect uv is the main culprit. Somewhere around 200-300 river days I replace. So factor all that when you consider when to replace your own. Always a good idea to jump in and test the jacket in a controlled environment to see how well it floats you and how much ride-up you have.

Years ago I took a three day boating class required for work. One component that stuck with me was the pfd swimming pool session. Trying on different vests, jackets, work suits, and survival suits was eye opening. My comfortable Stearns rode up on me and forced me to keep my arms down. Inflatables had a delay that allowed me to submerge a bit before activating. My advice- whatever you buy, try it out in the water before you need it. Don’t discount the need for a different pfd for different conditions. I wouldn’t recommend a marine jacket with lots of straps and do dads for whitewater where snags and sweepers are present.

Pretty much any major brand of PFD will work just fine and will last for many years of normal use with minimal care. Always rinse after use. Wash with a mild detergent as needed. Sweat and salt from exposure to salt water can degrade a PFD. Store out of the sun. For the average kayaker, a USCG approved Type III is what you need.

There are a few things to consider when picking one out.

• Is it comfortable? Keep in mind that you will be wearing it for hours at a time.

• When all of the straps are properly adjusted, does it fit well? It should remain firmly in place without feeling constrictive or interfering with normal movement. It should not be pressing on your chin when you look down. Pull up on the shoulder straps. It should not ride up.

• It’s important to try it on in your kayak. The back where the flotation is should be above your seat back and above the cockpit rim if you touch it when leaning back. If you have a roll that involves leaning back check to insure that the PFD does not interfere with it.

• Try it on in the water. It should not interfere with swimming. This is where riding up can be a problem. Try it on for self and assisted rescues. When fitted out with any gear that you put on the PFD it should not interfere. A lot of bulk in the front of the vest or bulky gear can be a problem.

• Lastly, insure that it has the pockets, clips, straps, etc. that will accommodate any extra gear that you will ordinarily carry. Whistle (a USCG requirement), knife, radio, snacks, compass, light, and so on.

The main thing to keep in mind is that a PFD only works if you wear it and that means all of the time. Excuses you hear all of the time are, I was only going out for a short time, I will stay near shore, I’m not planning on tipping over, I’m familiar with these waters, It’s hot out, the storm is not due until after I get back, I’m a good swimmer, etc. Newspaper stories are full of tragedies every year where excuses like these are common.

It’s heartening to see that some people love their boats more than themselves and strap their PFD to the boat, but it’s almost impossible to put on a PFD once in the water while trying to hold onto your boat, paddle, and any loose gear. This is especially true in the conditions that caused you to go over in the first place. And if you lose hold of your boat, you’ve lost everything. Also some people find that they are too low in the water to successfully perform a rescue without a PFD on.

1 Like