Best Paddle Float?

If you have…
…other boaters on the lake with you, and IF they monitor VHF, you’ll get MUCH faster assistance using th radio than you’ll ever get with a cell phone.

Who you gonna call? Be sure to have all their numbers pre programmed - don’t just rely on 911.

How big’s that lake? Any dead cell areas?

I’m in highly populated waters with lots of on water law enforcement - but even here it could take 20 minutes (or much more) to get assistance on scene using a cell phone - (even with an exact GPS fix and knowing closest land access). With VHF I could often have boaters there to help in 20 seconds!

When paddling alone, in worst case type scenarios where I’m unable to get out of situation on my own, other boaters are my first line of defense. Next on scene after them tends to be SeaTow and Tow Boat US,etc. The Sheriff boats, City & Town police boats, DNR/Fish & Game boats, and Coast Guard would be last resort, and unless very luck they’re not likely to be where I am when I’m there (where’s a cop when you need one?).

If less urgent (can make shore but not get back - or simply changed plan) cell phone is great to call someone to come and get you.

I like to carry both as they provide very different services. I almost never need either (did change plans and got a friend to pick me up once - no emergency, but could have been a real pain with no phone).

PS - Get and aquapac for the cell (you can use it through the bag - but not with a flip type phone. Stick to non-flips). I don’t use one with my VHF - as I paid for “submersible” and take them up on it frequently - but many do.

your missing my point
I am glad paddling is your way of getting back into shape. In my opinion it can’t be beat. My concern was that if you can’t get back in your boat because of an injury, you should be cautious about where you paddle. From what it sounds like, you are one of the best equipped new boaters I have ever heard of, but the best gear money can by will not do squat if you can’t use it.

Get you a paddle float. I personally have a pretty simple one and it serves me well. I also know that I paddle with other people so I have never had to use it.